truck payload rating system in america ?

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
I allways wondered how the American ratings of trucks work : half ton, 3/4 or one ton.

The Mercedes Sprinter dually is sold in Europe as a 5 ton truck, the single wheel version is 3.5 ton. Which is respectively 5 and 3.5 ton GVW.
In America it is sold as Dodge Sprinter 2500 and 3500, rated as 3/4 and one ton trucks.
In my previous job, i drew a few superstructures on these vehicles, and mostly their technical allowable payload was mostly roughly 2.3 ton for the 5 ton version and 1 ton for the 3.5 ton version, when using a simple flatbed with 30cm aluminium sideboards.

Are the half, 3/4 and 1 ton ratings used in America, just history based classifications which have nothing to do with the actual payload capacity ??

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #2  
I allways wondered how the American ratings of trucks work : half ton, 3/4 or one ton.

Are the half, 3/4 and 1 ton ratings used in America, just history based classifications which have nothing to do with the actual payload capacity ??

You got it. They mean nothing now days. It used to be a 1 ton had 2000# payload capacity, 3/4 was 1,500#, 1/2 was 1,000. Not now days. And to make things more confusing TRUCK A sitting on a dealers lot can have a higher payload capacity than TRUCK B even if both are say 1/2 tons.

The trucks are getting stronger every year. My 2007 F150 can haul aprox 1,700# or 700# more than its 1/2 ton rating and my 2006 F-350 can haul aprox 3,700# or 1,700# more than its 1 ton rating.

In my opinion I feel they should do away with these ratings and 3/4 ton trucks all together. The 1/2 tons built today are 2 times tougher than a 3/4 ton built 15 years ago and the 1 tons are off the chart.

Chris

/ truck payload rating system in america ?
Mercedes does sell a 2.8 ton version of the 3.5 which means no more than having one spring leaf less...

Once we had a vehicle that was rented with a big 5th wheel trailer. The customer complained about not being able to fully use the cargo space of the trailer he hired, because the 3.5 ton went flat on its springs if he loaded the front part with pallets too. So we put the springs of a 5 ton dually under it (which were leftover from an Airide conversion), so that the customer could safely drive the 5th wheel.
He was very statisfied with the quick service ( we changed the springs and drilled bigger holes in under 2 hours) and other customers said that the converted 3.5 ton version was more comfortable than the 5 ton dually on the same springs.. ;)

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #4  
History based classes is the best term I've heard for it.

The '04 up Ford F150 for example with the HD payload package can haul within 300 pounds of my '99 F350 "1ton" that actually hauls 3,300 lbs payload. The F550 trucks I've been studying are "1.5 ton" but depending on configuration can haul around 6,000 lbs.

I've got to get my Class A endorsment before I can tow anything with a F550 but that's a story for another day.

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #5  
Actually, the trucks are called things like 150, 250, 350, 1500, 2500, 3500. We call them the names that used to be back in the 40's, 50's, 60's. But they are not load ratings of 1/2 ton etc.

History based classes is really a good way of putting it!

jb

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #6  
In my opinion
* I feel they should do away with these ratings and 3/4 ton trucks all together.

The 1/2 tons built today are 2 times tougher than a 3/4 ton built 15 years ago and the 1 tons are off the chart.
* Why ?
Are you saying a 1/2 ton is just as heavy duty as a 3/4 ton?
I must admit I'm a bit :confused: by your statement .

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #7  
As a ROUGH approximation the series number represents the payload.
e.g. GMC/Chevrolet 1500 has a payload capacity of about 1500 pounds.
2500 2500 lb payload, 3500 3500lb, etc.
These numbers are CLOSE to the manufacturer's rated payload

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #9  
I must confess trying to grasp the meaning of the following has me quite befuddled.

Does it mean if I buy a higher priced 3/4 ton all I'm getting is over charged for a 1/2 ton truck?
Or does it mean I get the 3/4 ton for a 1/2 ton price if I go with a 1/2 ton.?

L . B .

In my opinion I feel they should do away with these ratings and 3/4 ton trucks all together. The 1/2 tons built today are 2 times tougher than a 3/4 ton built 15 years ago and the 1 tons are off the chart.

Chris

/ truck payload rating system in america ? #10  
The trucks are getting stronger every year. My 2007 F150 can haul aprox 1,700# or 700# more than its 1/2 ton rating and my 2006 F-350 can haul aprox 3,700# or 1,700# more than its 1 ton rating.

*In my opinion I feel they should do away with 3/4 ton trucks all together.

**The 1/2 tons built today are 2 times tougher than a 3/4 ton built 15 years ago.
Chris
*Is that because there is no need for the heavier duty 3/4 ton?
**So then it just naturally follows that the 1/2 ton is all anybody really needs.