Truck cap 'camper shell'

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
I will soon be transporting my little tractor behind a new F150, and want a colored fiberglass shell.
Goona' drive it home (VA) from Des Moines, anyone know of an outlet, warehouse, factory that does retail in upper mid America to middle East coast?

/ Truck cap 'camper shell'
There are a lot of dealers in the Elkhart, IN area.
I've been calling a bit (for Leer) there, but not finding any breaks on price. Know someone in particular?

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #4  
I've had Lear caps on my last two F150s and they are one of the best makers, at least they were when I bought the last one in 2006. Only problem I ever had was the push button latch on the rear window, after several years road salt got into it and the key lock seized up.

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #5  
I've been calling a bit (for Leer) there, but not finding any breaks on price. Know someone in particular?
Nope. Don't know anyone in particular. Just know Elkhart, IN is the RV capitol of the country and several manufacturers of truck caps, tonneau covers, truck, van, etc., accessories are located there, besides all of the major RV manufacturers. It's easy access from I-90 (Indiana East-West Tollroad) as it cuts right across Elkhart County in northern Indiana.

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #6  
There are several shell dealers in the ST louis area as well.

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #7  
I've had Lear caps on my last two F150s and they are one of the best makers, at least they were when I bought the last one in 2006. Only problem I ever had was the push button latch on the rear window, after several years road salt got into it and the key lock seized up.
I had a similar issue with mine - I have taken to spraying oil or white lightening grease in there from time to time. Hoping that keeps it from happening on my latest one.

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #8  
I also had the lock keyed to my keychain button - So very nice to unlock/lock the canopy at the same time I do the doors.

/ Truck cap 'camper shell' #10  
I have had 2 ARE caps on my Tundras. Both had to be ordered. Not stocked at the time. But the first was the first year of the model change, and the second was for a 4 year old Tundra. But still did not see stocked caps at the installation dealer in northern Michigan. Jon