troybuilt mower

/ troybuilt mower #1  

bky

Gold Member
Tractor
l245dt
is troybuilt riding mowers new to the market?
i havent found any web pages on pros or cons of them any body know anything about them?
of know of a feedback form about them?

/ troybuilt mower #2  
Troybuilt ride on mowers are MTD machines, identical in most ways to a YardMan brand. I believe that all the assets of GardenWay - maker of Troybuilt - were sold to MTD this past year.

/ troybuilt mower #3  
Thread moved to Lawn & Garden.

msig.gif

/ troybuilt mower #4  
I worked on a few troy bilt riders. Not the best mower, made pretty cheap. No comparison
to their tillers.

/ troybuilt mower #5  
The Gardenway Troy-built factory /headquarters{tiller} is about 10 miles away. In the late 80’s & early 90’s I’m told the riding mowers were made by Bolens out west and a halfway decent machine… the last couple years I believe, while having financial troubles, they were made by MTD and even the employees complained about the most recent units…/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The riding mowers are not the same caliber quality as the tillers and the large 33”/26” mowers {push}, they basically used the “Troy-built” name to market them as most companies do when they get real “big”…

Now that “big” company is down the tubes and it’s a crying shame on the tiller end…

As of the end of Sept 2001, they are out of business and all parts replacement orders will go through MTD...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ troybuilt mower #6  
John, Does that mean that the Troy Bilt tillers are no longer being made? We bought ours
in 1974 & still use it regularly. Just put new tines on it this past summer. They were really
a top notch company. They even used to send out a newspaper article every so often.
They also had a excellent repair dept. that you could call toll free & get advice.

/ troybuilt mower #7  
Re: Troy-Bilt mower

<font color=blue>...Does that mean that the Troy Bilt tillers are no longer being made?...They were really a top notch company...They also had a excellent repair dept. that you could call toll free & get advice...</font color=blue>

Unfortunately...YES to all the above... that's why I said it was a "crying shame"... I really was sick to my stomach the CEO let that company go down the drain... That's another long story, but he made sure he got his money...

My father has had his Troy-Bilt tiller since the late 60's or early 70's and it runs as good now as then, he says...

I'm sure, you'll see some sort of future marketing of this tiller... about the only thing salvageable after their bankruptcy... and I think MTD now owns the "rights" from some newspaper articles?

In the meantime, like I already had posted... you can order replacement parts from MTD...

Troy-Bilt Webpage

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ troybuilt mower #8  
Re: Troy-Bilt Auction...The End

Auction is requiem for way of life
Troy-- Bargain hunters mix with sightseers as remains of manufacturer are sold

By KENNETH AARON, Staff writer
First published: Friday, December 7, 2001

Dave Carlo came to the Garden Way Inc. auction Thursday looking for a lathe and surface grinder. He should know how good they are.

"I ran them for years and years and years,'' said Carlo, a 30-year Garden Way veteran who returned for the dismantling of the factory.

About 100 people were present when the first lot, a pipe wrench, was sold for $90. By about 4:30 p.m. today, 2,689 lots later, just about everything not bolted down -- and lots of stuff that is -- will have gone under the hammer.

The crowd, almost entirely male, was made up of businesspeople and used equipment dealers looking for tool bargains, and more than a few sightseers.

"It's sad to come here and see the place cut up,'' Carlo said.

The end of a 64-year-old manufacturing tradition officially started in July, when Garden Way announced a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing and said it would lay off its 550 workers come the end of September.

In reality, though, the end began well before that.

One reason was that the company couldn't make profits at the prices demanded by its key customer, home-improvement retailer Lowe's Cos. Inc.

And Rod Abele, owner of Abele Tractor & Equipment Co. Inc. in Albany, offered another: "They screwed around with their dealer network.''

Abele, at the sale with his son, Jeff, stopped selling Garden Way equipment in the early 1990s, when the company sold to customers direct for less than Abele could buy the machines.

The selection looked "pretty well picked over,'' he said.

No wonder -- MTD Consumer Group Inc., the company that bought most of Garden Way's assets for $44 million, kept lots of equipment.

Cleveland-based MTD gets to keep the bulk of the proceeds. The company running the auction, Continental Plants Corp., gets a percentage, though they're not saying how much. They wouldn't disclose Thursday's take.

Creditors don't get a dime because MTD, not Garden Way, owns what went on the block.

While many of the early lots were moving for under $100, later items were expected to cost more.

Leslie Amoils, owner of Trader Machinery Inc. in Toronto, had his eye on some horizontal machining centers in one of the factory's many chambers. Those types of machines could bring between $50,000 and $100,000, he said.

"It's a little bit outdated, but quality stuff,'' he said.

Not all of Garden Way's employees are gone yet. Some were kept by MTD to help dismantle everything.

"A very unique experience for me,'' said Michael Hayes, once the maintenance and facilities manager and now that department's entire staff. "One that I hope never, ever to repeat again.''
18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ troybuilt mower #9  
Re: Troy-Bilt mower

I agree - it is a damn shame that Troy-bilt has gone under. I've had one of thier mulchers for years and just bought new hammers for it last year. One wonders how well MTD will support the line in the future.

Andy in NH

/ troybuilt mower #10  
Re: Troy-Bilt Auction...The End

John,
Thanks for the update. Very interesting & sad. Another company that screwed up was
the one that made the Economy Power King garden tractor. They had a great market &
quality product up until the mid '80's. Then the redesigned the tractors & there sales
went straight down. I still have the '74 Troy-bilt my dad bought & the '78 Economy that
I bought.