troy built string trimmer DOA!

/ troy built string trimmer DOA! #12  
When is the last time the spark plug was changed? Even if you see spark out side the engine, under compression it may be a different story.

When my Poulan chainsaw died a friend told me exactly what you said. I replaced the spark plug and off she went. Unfortunately (or not :) ) in the interim I had bought a new Stihl. But hey, there's nothing wrong with having back up .... for back up .... for back up.

/ troy built string trimmer DOA! #15  
Is it the one that calls the engine "Big Red" or something silly like that? I went out one day to buy a Stihl Combi-System (or whatever they are called) and just about defecated said brick when I priced the entire system along with a separate edger (with 3 wheels of it's own for the 2000' + I have to edge). Being disgusted with the Stihl setup going to cost more than my first car, I went and bought the comparable setup at Lowes which was the Troy -Bilt setup. Other than the string trimmer being a little beast to start, it's all worked well for me. I'm actually quite surprised what the little chain saw extension on the string trimmer will cut. Still, I get quite annoyed and frustrated pumping that little gas bulb dozens of times and getting a good workout yanking the starter rope a hundred times or so.

I have changed the 3 or 4 ounces of oil in the engines several times per season, cleaned the air filters about once a month and changed the spark plugs at the beginning of each season. Still, I get this ticked off feeling rising up in me before I even begin trying to start one of the little buggers because I know it's going to be another "man vs machine" war to get them started. It can't be good for them, but I've resorted to giving them a little shot of starting fluid this year to get 'em started. It seems to work so far. If I destroy one this way, oh well, it will probably save me some grief in the long run. Good luck!

/ troy built string trimmer DOA!
I went and bought a $24 corded Weed Eater brand. It is a single line, and thin line at that but it works fine for what I will do with it. I am not going to clear hill sides with it. Just light trimming. I also bought a quart of brush killer and am going to edge everything.

I guess my attachments [which are like new] will sit and collect dust.

The worst thing about this is that the $24 one will probably out last me.

I knew better. More $$ doesn't mean a better product! I have proven that again.

I went and bought a $24 corded Weed Eater brand. It is a single line, and thin line at that but it works fine for what I will do with it. I am not going to clear hill sides with it. Just light trimming. I also bought a quart of brush killer and am going to edge everything.

I guess my attachments [which are like new] will sit and collect dust.

The worst thing about this is that the $24 one will probably out last me.

I knew better. More $$ doesn't mean a better product! I have proven that again.

/ troy built string trimmer DOA! #18  
I had the same trimmer and had the exace same problems. I was actually switching attachments when I shut it off and I couldn't get it restarted. I wound up tossing it and got a Husqvarna and havent looked back. I never really liked the troy-built 4-stroke. It always bogged down and had poor power. I love the Husqvarna, 10 pumps, starts the second pull the first is the choke.

anyone interested in it?

/ troy built string trimmer DOA! #20  
I had the same trimmer and had the exace same problems. I was actually switching attachments when I shut it off and I couldn't get it restarted. I wound up tossing it and got a Husqvarna and havent looked back. I never really liked the troy-built 4-stroke. It always bogged down and had poor power. I love the Husqvarna, 10 pumps, starts the second pull the first is the choke.

Can't believe this thread is going because my Troybilt did the same exact thing last weekend. Worked great for 3 years, ran out of string, put new in and went to start and nada. Just thought I had it flooded it somehow with the way it was laying but never did start. Had a friend look at it who tinkers with these things and he said it was over his head. He tried a new plug and nothing. I had a Troy bilt "horse" riding mower and it was a piece of you know what, made the mistake of buying the weedeater during the only year the mower worked fine.

So that leaves the question what trimmer do I get now? Don't mind paying for a good one.