Troy Built Horse

/ Troy Built Horse #1  

akjohnston

Reverse disk adjustment.
I have a troy built horse and purchased a new reverse disk and still unable to get it adjusted correct.
It has a large bolt that is threaded through a spring into the housing with a lock nut and side set screw.
It appears that when I adjust the top locking nuts that regardless the spring does not compress to allow the reverse disk to operate correctly.
Can the bolt and set screw be out of alignment or incorrectly installed now. For some unknow reason I did loosen the set screw that holds this bolt even though i did not remove the bolt.
Any information of how to adjust this would be appreciated.

/ Troy Built Horse #2  
There is a sliding adjustment block that you have to adjust.

Push the forward lever down. Measure the distance between the face of the roller and the mounting bracket. It should be 1/4" (*can use a 1/4 bolt or rod as a gap tool". Move the sliding stop up or down as needed to get the distance to 1/4." Then you have to make a little final adjustment from there. If it is too loose, the belt will slip. If it is too tight, the tiller will pop out of gear.

/ Troy Built Horse #3  
Oops, let me try this again.

The adjustment bolt sitting on the spring and plunger should be touching or nearly touching the tab on the engine mount when the tiller is in neutral, and the reverse disk should be at least 3/16" above the lower pulley.

It sounds as if something is keeping the plunger from depressing when you put it in reverse. There is a plunger retaining bolt at the base of the adjustment mechanism. It is supposed to be backed off a full 3/4 turn to the left, and not more, and then the jam nut is tightened when you have it all adjusted properly.