Troubleshooting John Deere 650 not starting

/ Troubleshooting John Deere 650 not starting #1  

cliff_890

Tractor
John Deere 650 compact
Troubleshooting tips needed.
Battery has 12.3 volts.
Tractor is not turning starter. I checked cable at starter, it also had 12.3 volts. I tried the starter disconnected from tractor using
Battery booster and it didn't spin, using the positive post on starter and negative post grounded on the starter. Will that be a bad starter?

This is the second starter in two years. Could there be something else causing these starters to fail?

Any tips would be appreciated.

/ Troubleshooting John Deere 650 not starting #2  
I would say a bad starter is an excellent possibility. These days of aftermarket (cheap and plentiful) replacement electrical parts, especially starters, not many make it to the one year warranty mark.

/ Troubleshooting John Deere 650 not starting #3  
It does sound as though your starter is shot. Take it to a local starter / generator repair shop to diagnose. They may be able to tell you what went wrong and get a better replacement than you'll find on eBay or Amazon. It will probably be less expensive than John Deere and possibly even better quality.

/ Troubleshooting John Deere 650 not starting #4  
You can have starter tested at most auto parts stores. 12.3 is only 70% charge so you need to make sure battery is at least 12.6 after tractor has been used an hour or more. Cranking at 12.3v long term will ruin the starter.