trouble with lime spreader

/ trouble with lime spreader #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a three point hopper that I use to spread fertilizer and I tried to use it for spreading lime and all it does is jam up. The agitator just spins and creates a hollow area and the lime doesn't slide down the sides of the cone. The opening in the bottom consists of two holes about two inches by two inches when opened up all the way. I thought of welding or bolting en extension to this shaft so maybe it would paddle more lime around and get it to fed. Anyone out there use a three point hopper to spread lime? Pictures would be great if you have them, especially of the agitator. Here's mine. Thanks in advance. RRM DSCN1261.JPGDSCN1260.JPG

/ trouble with lime spreader #2  
This will help. Could not get it to post so here it is the direct link: Fertilizer Spreader Parts-Cosmo Fertilizer Spreader | Agri Supply #9

I tried what I had on hand which was a piece of small angle iron and it helped some but did not solve it. You are working with a product that does not flow well as does granular fertilizer (hope have all that correct). We would take boat paddle and break it when it stuck the wall of the spreader. One thing we did since running pto spewd had quick lift action and we would drop the lift and back up real quick which helped to shake it down. I would suggest considering a product to spray the spreader with to make it slick. You know if you could mount a vibrating motor to the spreader that might just might really help. Like using a vibrating subsoiler over a standard one. kt