Trouble raising 3PH

/ Trouble raising 3PH #1  

serephraim

Tractor
LS XJ2025
I recently purchased an LS XJ2025 with ~400 hours on it. After a few hours of test-driving around my property, I find that I now have a lot of trouble raising the 3PH (it has a 4ft tiller installed on it). When I have the tractor at high RPMs (up to 2700), I cannot find a way to raise the 3PH at all. However, at ~1500 RPMs and lower, I am able to raise the 3PH if I play with the FEL a bit. With some experimentation, here's what I've discovered:
1. Only raising 3PH: doesn't work.
2. If I attempt to raise the 3PH first and then move the FEL up or down while continuing to raise the 3PH: doesn't work.
3. If I attempt to raise the 3PH first and then move the FEL up or down and then stop moving the FEL but continuing to raise the 3PH: doesn't work.
4. If I move the FEL up first and while it's moving I attempt to pull up the 3PH, the 3PH sometimes raises, but it is very slow.
5. If I move the FEL up first and while it's moving I attempt to pull up the 3PH and then I stop moving the FEL, the 3PH raises faster, but still not as fast as it did before this problem began.
** I ran these experiments on both flat and sloped grassy hill and in my mostly flat garage.

I'm not sure how to interpret these results, but I'm thinking down two different options:
1. Hydraulic pressure to the 3PH is too high or something is off with it because it sometimes works when the FEL is moving, which would take off some of the hydraulic pressure, but never works when RPMs are high.
2. Something is broken within with hydraulic housing itself.

After re-reading the manual and a few days of researching online, I have confirmed that:
1. My hydraulic oil level is not too low. In fact, it may be too high because the level reads higher than the upper mark on the dipstick. (Too much oil may mean too much pressure?)
2. Hoses are tight. No hydraulic fluid leaked during my experiments or before the problem occurred.
3. Since the FEL works without issue, I think I can rule out a hydraulic pump issue
4. I attempted to lift the 3PH for about 15 minutes while twisting the lift-speed control knob under the chair without success.

My next steps are to remove the tiller and experiment with just the 3PH. I don't think the tiller is presenting a weight problem since (1) I was able to raise the 3PH without issue and actually put the tiller to the test before a few days ago and (2) the tractor is able to raise the tiller when operating at low RPMs (and with the FEL operations I described above) but not at high RPMs, which doesn't point to a weight problem.

Any thoughts about what could be the problem?

Last edited: