Trouble changing gears

/ Trouble changing gears #1  

apeckham

Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I own a 2019 2638 hst
When I try to change from one range to another I have to hit the handle with my hand as hard as I can to get it to change.
I've tried nudging the forward and reverse peddles,lowering the rpms nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
   / Trouble changing gears #2  
Try lubing where the lever shaft goes into the cases.

/ Trouble changing gears #3  
Be sure the tractor is completely stopped and depress the clutch.

/ Trouble changing gears #4  
Sometime try stopping and moving in reverse slightly, then shift.
My 4wd shift is adamant about this routine to take the load off the gears.

/ Trouble changing gears
My tractor is a hydrostatic drive, no clutch. I've tried stopping, slight forward pressure,slight backwards pressure , four wheel drive,two wheel drive,tractor shut off. Nothing seems to help😡

/ Trouble changing gears #7  
Probably just the nature of the beast until you get some hours on it. I assume it's always done this and not just started?

/ Trouble changing gears #8  
Check the shifter linkage to make sure it's free, or nothing caught in there. How is it when you shift just to neutral?

/ Trouble changing gears
Probably just the nature of the beast until you get some hours on it. I assume it's always done this and not just started?
Yes, it has done it since it was new

/ Trouble changing gears #10  
Yes, it has done it since it was new
So has mine. I've tried everything under the sun. All of your ideas and more.

I've come to the conclusion that even when stopped there is still significant internal hydro pressure on the gears that change the range from L-M-H.

So after I stop, I inch forward a hair, back a hair and try to change the lever then. Rinse and repeat until it shifts. When it does, it's usually pretty easy at that point. Sometimes it takes 3-4 tries. Other times it's only once.

But even with this "inconvenience" I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a mule. Got 1900 hours on mine (2016) and not a lick of trouble.