Trimming out a replacement window

/ Trimming out a replacement window #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I'm trying to spruce up this house so I can get it sold.I paid a guy to replace this 6'x7' picture window which had fogged glass from the day I bought it and the exterior started to rot. He redid the exterior vinyl siding and trim after we got the window in. We never discussed the interior trim and I could just do that myself.
I was thinking rip a 1"x4" to fill in the space and just some run of the mill trim against the drywall unless some one has an easier or clever way of doing it.
I did carpentry in HS but hate finish work. Hiring him was money well spent as it took me, his son and the window delivery driver to get that window up into place on a split-foyer house. Picture with my hand is one side, the other the bottom.
20200509_133258[1].jpg
20200509_133316[1].jpg

/ Trimming out a replacement window
   / Trimming out a replacement window #4  
Use a 1x whatever the depth is for the jamb all the way around. Be sure it is flush with the drywall, then put the trim on. There is a good chance the window is not the same distance from the drywall all the way around so you'll have to adjust the jamb to accommodate that (meaning: taper the jamb or curve it or ??? to get it to fit properly). I would put the sill in first, then do the 2 sides and top without fasteners first. Once you're satisfied with the fit, nail the top to the side jambs. Top jamb is to rest on top of the side jambs. Slide the assembly into place and nail into position, but not close to the corner with the side & top jambs or you'll probably cause the joint to open up. Everything should be close, then run a bead of caulk around it between the window and the jamb. Then the trim moulding and paint.

/ Trimming out a replacement window #5  
Those are called jamb extensions. They extend the window jambs to the full depth of the wall. Then you put casing trim over the edge of the extension and onto the drywall. If you are going to paint you can pocket screw them in and fill the holes. Otherwise biscuits & glue might work with finish nails to pin it tight. Most of the ones I have seen had a rabbet cut on the jamb to help align the extensions. A search for images on how to trim out a window might help give you some good guidelines/ideas.

/ Trimming out a replacement window #6  
Those are called jamb extensions. They extend the window jambs to the full depth of the wall. Then you put casing trim over the edge of the extension and onto the drywall. If you are going to paint you can pocket screw them in and fill the holes. Otherwise biscuits & glue might work with finish nails to pin it tight. Most of the ones I have seen had a rabbet cut on the jamb to help align the extensions. A search for images on how to trim out a window might help give you some good guidelines/ideas.
At least in the south they are mostly referred to as "returns"...either sheetrock (aka drywall), plaster or wood etc...and they do not need to be nearly so much work as described...they are simply pieces of similar material (sheetrock, wood etc) simple cut to fit and nailed individually in place...(generally sheetrock returns are finished with corner bead and sheetrock compound (mud) and no casing etc is required)...small wood shims behind the returns can be used if the dimensions are slightly off...

window returns wood - Google Search

/ Trimming out a replacement window #7  
Sure, different terms are used in different parts of the country. To me a return is the small piece of trim you cut to finish off the end grain of a molding, but it can be used other ways for sure. You could try nailing the extension to the framing, but you will have to shim every gap around the window frame to even them up. That takes time too. Finish work is slow, just by nature.

/ Trimming out a replacement window #8  
Sure, different terms are used in different parts of the country. To me a return is the small piece of trim you cut to finish off the end grain of a molding, but it can be used other ways for sure. You could try nailing the extension to the framing, but you will have to shim every gap around the window frame to even them up. That takes time too. Finish work is slow, just by nature.

If the gap between the frame and the window is larger/wider than the material (say 3/4") a *window buck* can be used...otherwise a slight difference in the reveal against the window will not be noticed...

** a "window buck" is a (full length) strip of material cut with a 45 degree rip that forces the "return" tight against the widow frame...these are mostly used with sheetrock or veneer plaster board etc...they eliminate using shims and are very simple...

Finish work is only slow for the inexperienced...

/ Trimming out a replacement window #9  
Well duh, an experienced finish carpenter is going to be tons faster about it than an inexperienced person. But 2 simple points:
1. Finish work is slower than rough work, no matter how much experience you have.
2. Somebody asking how to trim out a window is OBVIOUSLY inexperienced and will be far, far slower at it.