Trickling water in winter

/ Trickling water in winter #11  
Without your location filled in your profile... the best we can do is guess... If you are in Florida, You are go to go!

On the other hand, if you are near the Canada border... turn your pump off!!!

What temperature are you worried about? If it's above freezing, you *should* be fine... (you get the point...)

Last is a good point. We jsut went through a spell of very cold (below zero wind chills). People panicked about pipes freezing. FACT wind chill WILL NOT freeze a pipe. Temp in pipe will only go down to what the real temp is.

/ Trickling water in winter #12  
Wind can be a factor when temps drop of how quickly things cool to air temp. Shelter like a tarp or garage makes a big difference up here whether a block heater is needed for cold weather starting. Outside in the wind a 190 degree engine cools off much quicker than if it's tarped or garaged.

/ Trickling water in winter
my concern is mainly the well house. like i said its surrounded by cinderblocks that are partially underground (2 feet) stuffed with insulation. its 20 degrees today. ground temp is 32 and dropping steadily. should i leave my water trickling?

/ Trickling water in winter #14  
my concern is mainly the well house. like i said its surrounded by cinderblocks that are partially underground (2 feet) stuffed with insulation. its 20 degrees today. ground temp is 32 and dropping steadily. should i leave my water trickling?
Non of what you are asking is straight up yes or no. The well house you describe will protect far below temperatures reached in Ar,,,,,,IF the insulation is in proper position. As an example of having plenty insulation but in wrong place,wall insulation between water pipe and interior of building is worse than no insulation. If it will give you peace of mind and let you sleep,put a 60-100 watt light or heat tape in well house (not floresant or LED as piney said :giggle: ). When I was on well water I hooked the light to a 120 volt room thermostat set to come on at 38f.
Taking this a step further,it isn't necessary to drip every faucet in an occupied building,only those in unheated rooms and on outside walls.

/ Trickling water in winter #15  

Another very good reason for NOT burying the tank and contols in a hole in the ground. The is no reason under God's blue sky not to have it in a heated building.

My neighbor is an example of extreme stupidiy. He dilled a new well and installed the tank a workings in a shed next to the well. When done he had to fully insulate that room and add heat in the winters. He then did away with the original installation THAT WAS IN THE HOUSE BASEMENT!

/ Trickling water in winter #16  
wind chill doesnt effect pipes freezing? we got a lot of wind today and tomorrow too. not sure if that hurts or not.
I use wind chill to determine potential freezing of pipes, with a couple of conditions. Wind chill is a factor of temperature and wind speed. One of the farm houses here has infiltration issues, on the west side, right where the kitchen pipes are located. Below zero "wind chill numbers", with wind coming from the west, correlates to frozen pipes unless I take action to prevent it.
For your purposes:
Can you use a lamps* on exposed parts?...tenting a lamp with a towel works good for protecting outside valves etc...

/ Trickling water in winter #17  
Having a facet drip or trickle may not prevent pipes from freezing but can prevent them from bursting. Good This Old House video explaining it.

/ Trickling water in winter #18  
Having a facet drip or trickle may not prevent pipes from freezing but can prevent them from bursting. Good This Old House video explaining it.
Great video.
Had a lab exercise in college where we had to do this, it was pretty amazing to me at the time. In fact, it still is.

/ Trickling water in winter #19  
With a well pump, trickling is not usually enough. Depending on the size of your pressure tank it may take a long time for the trickle to make the pump come on. During the time you are tricking water, the little 1/4" nipple to the pressure switch will freeze, as that is the smallest pipe in the system. When that nipple freezes, the pump will not come on and everything freezes. You have to trickle enough to make the pump come back on before the pressure switch freezes.

When the pump system is controlled by a Cycle Stop Valve, tricking more than 1 GPM will keep the pump running continuously. Running continuously is good for the pump. I have one feeding a stock tank that hasn't shut off since 1999. Using a CSV and tricking more than 1 GPM will make the water and the pump run continuously, which will keep everything in the system from freezing.

/ Trickling water in winter #20  
Where is your ballast tank?

No water will be moving upstream of the ballast tank in the pipe between the pump and the ballast tank, until the pressure in the tank is low enough to turn the pump on. Normally, water in this pipe is stagnant most of the time , and will freeze if below 32°F.