Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go?

/ Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go? #1  

JJT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro
How deep can you go with a rear mounted scoop? I need to clean out some ditches and using the bucket is a pain in the neck, (6' at a time). Can I use a rear scoop and can it cut a trench 18" deep? I have a Kubota L3710, 37hp, so traction and hp will not be an issue. I just don't want to buy a scoop and find out it will not dig more than a few inches.

/ Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go? #2  
I have a 30" scoop that I bought to use with the tractor I had prior to getting a FEL. I doubt that you could trench 12" with it if digging was serious, but if you're just cleaning out soupy "muck" you might tilt it with the top link and get more depth. I suggest looking at the height of your 3PH linkage arms when lowered all the way. Then look at the height of the pins on the scoop from the ground with it sitting there. You'll get a pretty good idea how deep it'll cut.

/ Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go? #3  
I do not have a scoop but I regularly use my back hoe to do what you are trying to do. I just lower the bucket and drive forward. I can cut 24 inches easy.

/ Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go? #4  
You can dig 'forever' with the scoop. Just keep in mind that every run, you are only removing it's width in the area you are difggin, and you would have to make overlapping passes to keep going down, otherwise once you dug down about 8" in one spot, the frame of the scoop will drag.

This is really a backhoe job, unless you are trying to take down a wide area 18".. then sure.. just gonna take a while.. Many people have excavated fairly large areas.. like for pull in 1'st story basements in bi-level houses.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Trenching with a rear scoop, how deep can you go? #5  
If you're just clearing out existing trenches, have you considered a rear blade. Get the angle set and drag material onto the road where you can easily pick it up with your FEL.