Trencher... buy, rent, or hire

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Over the next few years, I will have repeated need for trenching to be completed all over my farm. From bringing in NG line about 1/2m, water to houses and barns, dragging water to automatic waterers in multiple paddocks, as well as 200-300 yds of drainage tile, etc etc. NONE of it will be completed necessarily at the same or close to the same time. Frost line is 30". I don't know local required depth for NG, electric, and water for utilities.

I've thought about the cost of hiring this out, and it is pretty high, much less to have the work of laying pipe and cable. While I am no plumber or electrician, I feel quite comfortable cutting lines and digging holes in the dirt.

The question I am fumbling with is whether it is worthwhile to purchase a used trencher for the farm over the next few years, then when I am finished, sell it. I don't want to waste money, and I'd really like to have the weight in my bank account to simply write a check to have it all professionally completed, however, my farm is located in the 'Beverly Hills' of horse country, and everyone thinks I have that kind of money. I get great service because people think I am a money bags kind of guy. And I know I get a 'Premium' added to every bid I get, simply because of the location and expectations of what I am willing to pay.

So, I've been doing most of the work thus far, on my own, and I feel comfortable laying tile, and trenching for NG/Water, as well as dragging water for automatic waterers. But what I DON'T feel comfortable, is purchasing a trencher which will do the job necessary WITHOUT a high likelihood of breaking down. I am not unfamiliar with mechanical systems, and can fix a lot of things, but have no time or knowledge to pull things 'apart' for bigger fixes. ie I'll pull a fuel pump or change an alternator, but I'm not going to pull a head apart.

So, if you were in my shoes, needed a trencher which will do these things, and CANNOT afford to simply have them done, what would you do? I have no problem renting one, but I haven't found anything large enough to do most of what I need, in the Lexington area, at least thus far. But I also don't want to end up spending the same cost on a rental as I would on a good solid purchase with resale value, if I can avoid it.

If I buy, how and where would you recommend I go about it? I don't have any friends or associates with the knowledge to insure of a good machine.

I'm thinking of something along these lines.

AuctionTime.com | VERMEER V475 Online Auctions

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #2  
I think I would rent. A trencher is a bit of a one trick pony. Might be better off getting a backhoe for your tractor. I bet it would be great help in the future.

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #3  
What are the soil conditions like there and how deep do the trenches need to be? I know here in the Northeast we don't see too many units like that because they don't work well in all the rock we have. I work at a lot of jobs where there is irrigation being installed and they will have a small articulated trenching machine with a trencher on one end with a vibratory plow on the other. They work ok when using the trencher end but they also end up doing lots of hand work, the vibratory plow end seems to work better.

You may be better off purchasing a backhoe for your machine or, for what a trencher like you have linked to your post would cost you, I would think you could could buy a very decent mini excavator to do all of your trenching and you would more than likely be able to sell it when you're done for pretty close to what you bought it for.

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #4  
Gas and electric companies around here will NOT let you dig/install/ or be near them when they go in, so check all this before you go all out.---I too vote backhoe, cause your gonna need one to dig s**t out from the front of trencher!--HOW do I know??? don't ask!---I own and use trenchers!--been there/done that! LOL!!! thanks; sonny580

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire
Sonny, the one which is in the ad has a small backhoe attachment on one end.

My soil is deep and for the most part, essentially rock free. I know there are a few scattered rocks around, and there is one area which has a little bedrock or bigger rock closer to the surface, however, overall, I would suspect at least 90% would be regular soil.

My concern in going to a mini-excavator is because I can’t imagine actually digging the amount of trench I’d need to dig. The max I’ve done was putting in 3 - 30’culverts. I know I could use it for a lot of things, but the ability to trench for lines and water, use the vibratory plow to pull water pip for waterers in my paddocks, and trench for drainage tile seems “to an uneducated/inexperienced” me, to lend itself to a trencher.

It just seems like several LONG trenches to dig with a mini-ex.

I am not arguing, but trying to wrap my head around it.

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #6  
There is good stuff out there that use differential GPS to trench and lay drainage tile at precise depths while rolling of the back of a big dozer over rolling terrain, my cousin has one and designs and installs field irrigation systems. You cannot afford to buy that stuff but if you have enough to do it makes sense to hire somebody with the right kit that can do your 300+ yds in one day and have it precisely sloped for optimal drainage, etc.

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #7  
Check out large rental companies such as herc (used to be hertz) or united rental or whatever is in your area. They often sell units for a good price with some warranty still on them. Checking and calling around till you find a good rep to work with is important.
We have a local rental company here with a few stores that oftentimes you can get a real good deal on equipment that they have been renting. This company has a reputation of taking good care of the equipment. No idea on what is around you.
Manufactures Ditch Witch, Toro, and Vermeer have units they do demonstration with or testing with for sale.

Would a toro brand unit called a DINGO be of interest? Most of them are walk / ride behind with lots of attachments available. If you own a unit you can still rent attachments if you have someone in your area.

Toro | Compact Utility Attachments, Dingo Attachments

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #8  
Wow, the one you put a link to is a very very nice trencher. So as you asked, if I were in your shoes, I would (and have) purchase my own used trencher. There are a few different methods you can look at to accomplish your trenching needs. You could look for a used Bobcat T190 for example and get a trencher attachment for it....all used of course. I bought my T190 and used it for a few years and actually sold it for several thousand more than I paid. But I bought after the real estate bubble burst in 2011. Picked up several attachments from small time excavation dudes who had machines that were just sitting idle......anyway, the Toro as mentioned above are beastly and awesome as well. If you go that route you have a machine that will also help you accomplish other tasks. This is the route I would go and then sell when you are finished. Buy a nice unit and just remember to keep telling yourself you are only moving things around on your balance sheet....the net worth stays pretty much the same, just moving asset categories when purchasing used equipment.....new you are going to take a hit on your balance sheet up front.

Anyway, I went on a little further than I intended to, but happy searching, that is part of the fun....but I would not get that machine you first linked to...I would get one that can do other things for you while the trenching portion is sittind idle.......UNLESS you find a GREAT trencher or dedicated trencher where you can protect your balance sheet.

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire
Do they make vibratory plow attachments for CTLs?

/ Trencher... buy, rent, or hire #10  
Do not buy a trencher unless you have HST. I have a Bradco that I bought in 2006, I now have a HST that I bought in 2007 because my previous tractor was gear driven and did not like me riding the clutch.