Tree Hugger's Meltdown

/ Tree Hugger's Meltdown #11  
Living in a rural area requires maintenance, (House, Tools, Tractors, Equipment, Landscaping) trees don't escape this maintenance. I love trees, I think they're great, beautiful things. However, you need to trim them, make sure they're healthy, not bothering their neighbors or taking over the place. Sometimes that means tough decisions.

For example, this past weekend I had the un-enviable task of cutting down an old Sycamore that my friend had grown up climbing and playing on as a small child. It held a great deal of nostalgia for him, but was sick beyond recovering (literally rotting down) and threatening his newly constructed house. We saved what we could of the trunk so that it can eventually become lumber and make it's way back into his life as something new. I believe he's already ground the stump and is trying to find something new to put in it's place.

So I can partially agree with tree huggers on the sense that trees are great, but there has to be limits.

/ Tree Hugger's Meltdown #12  
Living in a rural area requires maintenance, (House, Tools, Tractors, Equipment, Landscaping) trees don't escape this maintenance. I love trees, I think they're great, beautiful things. However, you need to trim them, make sure they're healthy, not bothering their neighbors or taking over the place. Sometimes that means tough decisions.

For example, this past weekend I had the un-enviable task of cutting down an old Sycamore that my friend had grown up climbing and playing on as a small child. It held a great deal of nostalgia for him, but was sick beyond recovering (literally rotting down) and threatening his newly constructed house. We saved what we could of the trunk so that it can eventually become lumber and make it's way back into his life as something new. I believe he's already ground the stump and is trying to find something new to put in it's place.

So I can partially agree with tree huggers on the sense that trees are great, but there has to be limits.
Excellent post. Couldn’t agree more. I will say that’s it’s unlikely that many of the shrieking fanatics in the video dwell in rural areas.

Actually living on the land gives most of us a balanced view of nature which, as you say, leads to difficult decisions involving trees and other of nature’s gifts.

/ Tree Hugger's Meltdown #15  
IMG_1604.jpeg

/ Tree Hugger's Meltdown #20  
Around here, the power companies don’t ask permission to trim trees in the right of way. They just do it with gusto and a particularly inartistic flair.
Here too. The power line easement requires the property owner to keep all hazards away from the lines, and if the property owner doesn't do it the power company will. They are reasonable I have a walnut and an apple (volunteers) growing under the power lines and as long as they stay below the wires the power company is fine with them. If I let them get to line height, the power company will prune them at the roots.