Tree came down in the storms--opinions?

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
The picture tells the story.

20130708_132328.jpg

Although I'm normally a DIY kind of guy, the top of the tree is hung up in another tree, which pretty much automatically makes it over my pay grade. Still, I'm curious how a professional would go about this? How could the tree be brought down without having it fall on the manger and/or the fence? A neighbor of mine has a logging truck with a boom-claw (not sure the official name). I wondered if an arborist had such equipment, could they just sort of pick up the tree near the top so it wouldn't fall, then buck off sections of the truck until it was free. Without heavy equipment, I'm not sure what one would do. Could one build blocking underneath the trunk to allow the top to be cut loose without the bottom falling?

My best idea was to cut it loose at the base, then work my way up the trunk in 2-3' sections, letting the remaining top section of the tree come to rest on the ground each time the bottom was cut free. The main danger there, I guess, would be that the top would come loose in the jiggling and wiggling and the whole thing would come down.

I've reached out to my homeowner's insurance, and with any luck, they'll just take care of it. That's what they're for, right?

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #2  
Danged fence and structure is in the way. :rolleyes::D:D:D

I would take down the fence boards and move the wire. Then hook up a chain and see if I could pull the tree over and out of the other tree and get it on the ground. I have done this with a come along because I can take my time and see what is happening. This assumes the downed tree trunk is not really stuck in a fork on the other tree.

If the downed tree cannot be moved out of the other tree I would start carefully cutting off sections of the trunk. Eventually, the top will settle down and can be pulled out. I have done this once or twice as well. Just make sure that the downed tree does not spring back when cut from the stump.

However, there have been some really big oak trees that have been blown down into the forks of another tree. These trees were in the woods and I left them alone. They were just too big and hung up at a very high angle to mess with. I let Momma Nature bring them down the rest of the way.

Later,
Dan

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #3  
I agree, I'd move the fence out if the way first. Can the manger be moved or is it anchored in the ground?

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions?
I agree, I'd move the fence out if the way first. Can the manger be moved or is it anchored in the ground?

Unfortunately, it's augered into the ground on posts. Taking off the fence slats will be pretty easy. Pulling and re-setting the posts would be marginally more of a PITA.

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #5  
I would pull the fence slats, then put some sideways tension on the "uphill" side to pull it away from the shed (assuming that it is right on top of it and that's not just a trick of the light), then I would cut the trunk off in 3-6' sections until it cleared the fence and I would pull the rest out of the other tree with a long chain.
A spotter in my field of vision to keep an eye on the rest of the tree would be required.

Aaron Z

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #6  
Crossed trees chained together under the leaner and take it art in pieces.:D

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #7  
That's a bit sticky. If you didn't care about the shack or fence, you could make an undercut about halfway along the trunk that should slowly let the tree buckle and come down in the middle -- just keep nibbling at the cut until it gives. It helps to have a long bar so you can stand clear of the trunk in case it acts unpredictably. Once down, work your way outward. You *must* use an undercut in this situation to keep from pinching the bar and to let the tree ease down to the ground as you cut.

If you did care about the shack/fence, you could block up the fallen tree to keep it from crushing the shack and fence, then free the top from the other tree. Next prop up a ladder against the side of the tree and start cutting off chunks from the top down. I'd probably also block/prop the rootball if it was heavy, so that it doesn't swing back upright at some point and send your ladder for a ride (seen it happen many times, and always surprises folks and lets me say "told you so").

Normally it's safer to work top down since that gets the weight off where it is most beneficial for safety. Just tie off the ladder and be very careful. You need cojones to run a chainsaw on a ladder, and I only do it in rare circumstances when I am 100% confident in my understanding of the situation. I have a small top-handle climbing saw for just these scenarios. A regular chainsaw is not safe to operate from a ladder, though people do it all the time.

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #8  
watch cutting it near the root ball it will snap up. I would take a pole saw and get as many branch off as i could, and if you are able start at the top and work down.

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions?
watch cutting it near the root ball it will snap up. I would take a pole saw and get as many branch off as i could, and if you are able start at the top and work down.

Can you tell me more about the physics that will cause it to snap up? I can't see how it's under any tension that will cause that, but I know that hung trees can behave in unexpected ways. If you're thinking its teeter-tottering on the manger, it's not. It's totally hung up at the top.

/ Tree came down in the storms--opinions? #10  
If the tree is loaded with its own weight it could "snap up" when cut. When they snap up the direction isn't always predictable. The term I have always heard from talking to loggers is "loaded trees". Trees pushed into a pile by a 'dozer or a skidder. These trees are loaded by pressure but don't appear so. When they are cut they snap up quickly. Faster than a person can react.