Treating pole posts?

/ Treating pole posts? #1  

jwhite

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I have one of those band type sawmills and I would like to make my own posts. I have plenty of long oak, but the problem is treating them for ground contact. I would like a ground contact life similar to PT type post. I think I would really only need to do the below ground portion plus maybe a foot above ground.

Anybody doing this? Which chemical? Methods?

I hate buying and using PT pine when I have all this oak available.

Thanks for the help!

/ Treating pole posts? #2  
I use linseed oil for birdhouses, thoough not in contact with the ground they do last for 10+ years outside in the elements with just one coating.
I will be watching this thread too.

gary

/ Treating pole posts? #3  
This is a big time "check your local laws before use" thing.

Here, we use 2 differnet methods. Asphalt fence paint ( comes in 5 gal buckets.... just dip and sink.. etc.

Also copper napthelate ( also comes in paint can size cans or buckets) It is still sold in florida.. ( I've seen it at lowes and home depot ) but not sure about all states... fairly toxic stuff, so be careful. Leaves a greenish stain / tinge to the treated area... I've never seen any type of bug eat this.. exposed areas usually don't grow any kind of fungus either...mean stuff. Again.. use your own judgement, and check the legal issues.

Soundguy

/ Treating pole posts? #4  
We always soak the bottom 24" our fence posts in a barrel of old motor oil. It's just an old 30 gal grease barrel, and we dump our used motor oil in there. Let 'em soak for a couple of weeks before you bury them. This has worked real well for many years. May not be politically correct these days, so use at your own discretion...

Corm

/ Treating pole posts? #5  
SoundGuy is correct. As far as I know copper napthelate is probably the best thing you can purchase without a license. Of course good old fashioned creosote will work too. Whatever you use I would fill a small drum etc. and soak the bottoms in it as long as possible. Don't just brush it on. One caveat though...nothing you do will even remotely approach the effectiveness on the CCA pressure treated lumber you buy at the store. If what you are building something that needs to last "forever" and you are putting a large amount of labor into the installation you might consider going to the commercial stuff. If your only sinking 5 or 6 posts for a garden fence, go for it!

Good luck.

/ Treating pole posts? #6  
Jay,

There are firms in my area which will take your wood and PRESSURE treat it for a nominal charge. Maybe there are firms in your area which can do the same. Topical treatment is not enough for direct exposure to the ground. Even pressure treated wood has different volumes of preservative pressurized into them depending upon the application. For your particular application I would use a 0.60 pcf retention.

Good luck with your search.

Yooper Dave

/ Treating pole posts? #7  
We do the same thing Corm except we usually treat them 36 or 48". Shoot there are posts on the ranch that were put in before I was born that are still strong.

/ Treating pole posts? #8  
Jwhite,
I’ll throw out another option for your consideration. Many of the pole building companies are using laminated post these days because they tend not to twist as much and are actually stronger than a single piece of larger lumber. It also lets them set pressure treated wood in the ground and then use non treated lumber starting a couple of feet above ground. The ones I have seen are normally three 2x6 pressure treated pieces in the ground with the center section about 18” longer than the side pieces. The remainder of the post, oak above ground in your case, would be built with the center section 18” shorter forming a pocket for the pressure treated center piece. A few bolts and you are ready to go. It would also be easier to line up and handle the sections that go in the ground because of their size.

MarkV

/ Treating pole posts?
Thanks for all the responses! I certainly don't want anything too dangerous, I am on well water here. Oak is generally much more resistant to rot and bugs than pine, but some type of long term preservative is needed. Will check locally for the copper napthelate and also see if there is any place locally to have them pressure treated.

If anyone knows of a place to have this done in eastern WV, let me know.

Thanks!

/ Treating pole posts? #10  
How far are you from Culpepper, VA? Culpepper Wood Treatment is located there.