Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #41  
I am thinking of getting a travel trailer and heading south for the winter. I have pulled horse trailers and utility trailers but never a livable trailer. I have a Dodge 1500 Thunder Road with a Hemi so I think I'm ok in the power department. I don't need anything too big -- just a simple unit with kitchen, shower, and bed. I've seen lots of models in the $10k to $16k range and I'd like any and all of your thoughts on this. Some specific questions:

- Most models have lots of beds. I don't need them. Can they come out or are their models with fewer beds and more living room?

- What sort of arrangement have you found satisfactory for TV?

- Are there models that don't try to look like a suburban house inside [like faux wood]?

- Are the water sewer systems reliable?

- What breaks first?

- What are the pitfalls?

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

There are some very good tip's given here, solid advice.

I will give you my experience with the questions you pose and add some tid-bits that others have not mentioned.

As far as TV is concerned, we use a flat screen with cordless speakers (screen is mounted on a swivel base attached to the wall). Heading south- depending on just how far south you will be using the heat in the winter and it may drown out the tv when it cycles; hence the cordless speakers... money well spent!

Models- You are the one who will be staying in it for an entire season, choose one that fit's your lifestyle. All camper's will need some sort of attention sooner or later. Lightweight is key to enjoying the experience, I like the idea of picking up and going at a moments notice, but if you are towing heavy you will be more reluctant to move around- hopscotch campgrounds.

water and sewer work great, so long as you keep them up. We always dump the black when leaving and pump 3-5 gal of fresh into the black tank and add a pack of tank treatment to the black tank- by the next destination your tank will have been washed thanks to America's interstate's.

What always tends to break, "or has for me, is the door catch". There is fitment issues with all trailers, cupboard door wont stay closed or sink stopper sticks or falls closed. All glitches will be fixed by you whatever the small issue is.

Pitfall's? Both my wife and I would do it full time, family is the drawback. You will be miles from them- both a good and a bad thing. Pick your scenario; Grandkid is born while you are away.....Or a loved one passes, tough to get back at a minutes notice.

Tip's I would give

Get "IN" the shower..... Now remember you will be doing that for months on end so make sure you fit. I am not only tall but fairly round err.... Big! So try before you buy.
Sit on the toilet, and take note of where your knee's are and attempt to- take care of the Dirty work with whichever hand you use. Did you knock your elbow or have to contort yourself into some awkward position? Oh and while you are there look for the toilet paper holder, could you get to the dispenser easily? Don't laugh!! I did it!!

Invest in quality fold out chairs and easily cleaned large rug outside, you will enjoy that canopy!!! The rug is great for catching debris before being tracked in your home.

If you cook bacon, use a skillet outside to keep the mess at bay and the neighboring campers hungry.

Most campers poop tube are stowed in the rear bumper, drill holes at the ends and push a nail into the rubber caps; to ensure they stay. I drug a poop tube for miles down an Interstate with it hanging out the rear bumper, "I wondered why no one would pass" :D

I could go on, but you get the gist of it; good luck!!

Don

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip
Apparently the pooper is a real discriminator so I will take all the advice on that.

I drove on I-81 and I-70 for three hours today. Naturally, I took special interest in all the travel trailers out there and I must say there were plenty. One thing I noticed was about a third of them were a bit much for their tow vehicle. Either the back bumper was sagging or there was a bit of lateral sway going on or they bounced a good bit after hitting a bump. As indicated early in this thread, it would appear that many people underestimate what it will take to tow these things safely. Even though I have a Ram 1500, I am now highly conscious of this and will do a good tow test before moving forward. I'll also check with my trusted mechanic to get his opinion and to see if additional suspension stuff is needed.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #43  
I towed with a Ram 1500 (2wd 6 speed manual) and it has been an awful tow vehicle. I believe that some of the later year Rams do have an improved rear suspension, mine is a 2005 model year. Take care with the height of the trailer. There are a lot of high profile trailers out there that are close to 10 ft to the roofline. I had the joy of towing one of those from MI to Colorado and back in 2009 when gas was close to $5/gal. It was rented, thank goodness, and I learned a major lesson prior to buying my first RV. I got 10mpg towing that trailer and the combo could not do better than 65mph with the gas pedal floored. It was like driving down the interstate pulling a parachute....

I later bought a HiLo trailer than is built like a shoebox and the upper half raises and lowers hydraulically. After living with it for some time I would no longer recommend them, but despite being heavy (5000lb empty), I would get 18mpg towing it with the exact same truck as before. If you go long distances, that makes a huge difference. However, the aerodynamic fiberglass trailers do just as well through their reduced drag and usually reduced weight.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #44  
For the swaying and dropped rear end from the tongue weight causing sway, poor steering, dangerous braking, a hazard when crossing dips in the road of any kind, and making you look for sure that you have no idea of how to do this right............. Besides, of course, having a truck set up for pulling a heavier trailer when you buy the truck, one can get anti-sway bars and weight distribution systems that do a great job of controlling sway caused by side winds or inputs. The weight distribution systems are a MUST have to making your whole unit, the truck and trailer, level and true............. You will find that this will stop almost all of the situations outlined above........ Basically both are held in position with your truck and the trailer with a special receiver that replaces the simple "nothing" hitch/ball type of receiver. Attached to that receiver are rods, bars, chains, and other parts that do the actual "controlling" of sway and leveling............ These things cost maybe in the $500 to $1000 range. Most are nothing complicated to install. Also they are available on eBay or Craigslist used......... Nothing actually wears out on them so making them new is perhaps some touch up paint............WORTH THE TIME AND TROUBLE.......... God bless............Dennis

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #45  
Trucks are certainly not all the same. My dodge which was so lousy had a 6 foot bed and regular cab, so a short wheelbase. The rear suspension is soft and not laterally stable since it is a low capacity truck. Brakes in fact were fine (disks on all 4 wheels). Now by comparison, my F250 is a lot longer (extended cab + 6.5 foot bed) and the rear suspension and potentially tires (E series inflated to 75PSI) offer a lot more stability.

For comparison, a weight distribution + anti sway hitch on the Ram 1500, even after dialing in the setup over many trips is still not comparable in stability to the F250 without a WD / anti sway hitch.

So if you already have the truck, I suggest you look at putting the heaviest load rating tires on it which will fit and potentially adding load levelling springs to stiffen up the rear end.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #46  
For comparison, a weight distribution + anti sway hitch on the Ram 1500, even after dialing in the setup over many trips is still not comparable in stability to the F250 without a WD / anti sway hitch.

So if you already have the truck, I suggest you look at putting the heaviest load rating tires on it which will fit and potentially adding load levelling springs to stiffen up the rear end.

Hmm..........Scratchin my head and wondering why at various "Rallies" and events I go to that when I look around, most of the F250's with bumper pulls, including mine, use the various kinds of weight distribution. Guess most of us don't understand how to NOT get away with not using them. Of course when we had smaller trucks, we had to really pay attention to tongue weight, weight distribution inside the trailer, height of the trailer ball vs the level heighth of the trailer itself, and some more variables when we used the weight and sway hitches and got them to perform correctly and safely. Perhaps it's to much for some to comprehend or pay attention to enough details to get it right.
Yep, them E rated Michelin lots of us use, do make a difference when inflated properly; but even more important is the load rating and inflation pressure of the trailer tires themselves............
Don't worry about the petty stuff. Get something and get out and learn from folks that are out there doing it parked next to you.......... God bless......Dennis

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #47  
Could be that my 5000lb Hilo is much lighter with a much lower centre of gravity than your trailer ? My Superduty curb weight is over 7000lb vs the 5000lb trailer. With the Ram, it is more like 4000lb truck to 5000lb+ trailer. Not to mention that the trailer is much longer than the truck.. Of course people pull much heavier, taller and longer trailers than mine. But even the Hilo is a challenge behind the Ram 1500 without the anti sway hitch.

p1342294243604295.jpg

Ram and trailer.jpg

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip
I've driven a horse trailer with a couple horses in it from Maryland to Atlanta. It required pretty much my full attention all the time - I don't recall even listening to the radio. Granted, it was a basic F-150 [351 4-bbl] and basic trailer, and horses tend shift around during transit, especially on turns. And horse trailers suck the wind off a tractor trailer like a sail boat. I've also pulled a 12-ft landscape trailer with ATVs a good bit. Trailer weighed a 1000 lbs, load is 1100 lbs.

So I guess my question is, given a decent set-up of truck and hitch, is it a pretty routine matter to roll down the highway with a travel trailer? Are there wide open spaces where you can use cruise control? Or is cruise control just not recommended even for mechanical reasons?

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #49  
I put a 3" spacer below the toilet in my 5th wheel; it sat way too low. I got the spacer from the local RV supply/repair place.

I see people with mis-balanced trailers all the time. I think most people don't understand how to balance them, or know to do so. Many people just hook up and go... These are just IMHO...
- Folks don't get the correct drop hitch. Get your hitch set for correct height to match your trailer
- Folks don't balance load in trailer, and wind up tongue heavy
- People do not understand need and proper use of weight disti hitch, and when it is needed
- Then there's the load up the truck and the trailer folks who put too much weight on the back of the trailer.

It really is not that hard to get the trailer and truck level and balanced. Just a little forethought and prep...

Apparently the pooper is a real discriminator so I will take all the advice on that.

Either the back bumper was sagging or there was a bit of lateral sway going on or they bounced a good bit after hitting a bump. As indicated early in this thread, it would appear that many people underestimate what it will take to tow these things safely. Even though I have a Ram 1500, I am now highly conscious of this and will do a good tow test before moving forward. I'll also check with my trusted mechanic to get his opinion and to see if additional suspension stuff is needed.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #50  
I've noticed that trailering can leave you drained. It does take a little more attention. I see this especially in and around traffic; other folks do not consider your safety buffer, cut you off etc. I am definitely more defensive when I am towing.

I've driven a horse trailer with a couple horses in it from Maryland to Atlanta. It required pretty much my full attention all the time - I don't recall even listening to the radio.