Transporting boulders

/ Transporting boulders #71  
Around here you see the stones show up at the yard on pallets and wrapped with heavy field fencing. These are then strapped down with bars in the wire and or corner protectors for the straps.

Chain link fencing is flexible to fit a variety of shapes and the same places that sale the fence has tension bars that can be inserted. A variety of pullers are made to attach to the tension bars. This enables you to distribute the forces when tying down the load.

Tires used as a focal point to fasten to sounds ok and they have incredible strength in their beads.

Adding dirt and gravel around boulders do not stop them from shifting at a sudden stop. Also greatly adds to the weight of the load.

/ Transporting boulders #72  
Never seeing a dump trailer in action, is that the typical speed of dumping material? Or is that a heavier load and hence a slower speed? Just asking. And yes I have some rocks as shown on my property. Thanks, Jon
They aren't fast, but that one is slower than most I've seen. Twice that fast is probably a decent one. 12v powered hydraulic pumps are pretty anemic. They are faster with minimal load, but not much.

Probably 2-3hp on your average 12v hydraulic pump. Your 30-60hp tractor puts out 8-12hp of hydraulic power under ideal circumstances. Probably a fair bit more on your bigger dumptrucks with PTO hydraulics.

/ Transporting boulders #73  
They aren't fast, but that one is slower than most I've seen. Twice that fast is probably a decent one. 12v powered hydraulic pumps are pretty anemic. They are faster with minimal load, but not much.

Probably 2-3hp on your average 12v hydraulic pump. Your 30-60hp tractor puts out 8-12hp of hydraulic power under ideal circumstances. Probably a fair bit more on your bigger dumptrucks with PTO hydraulics.
1 HP = 746 W electric which would take a minimum of more than 60A at 12v, assuming a perfect conversion of electric to hydraulic power. I don't know what the fuse rating is on those 12v hydraulic pumps but I'd be surprised if they're doing 1HP; I'm happy to be educated as I really don't know but these numbers (2-3hp) don't sound right.

/ Transporting boulders #74  
1 HP = 746 W electric which would take a minimum of more than 60A at 12v, assuming a perfect conversion of electric to hydraulic power. I don't know what the fuse rating is on those 12v hydraulic pumps but I'd be surprised if they're doing 1HP; I'm happy to be educated as I really don't know but these numbers (2-3hp) don't sound right.

I don't honestly remember if my pump (tilting deck not dump, but the pumps are generic units used in both) is fused or not much less the rating. My 12,000lbs Harbor Freight winch does have breakers, but many do not. The winches pull 200-300@ so fuses are a bit problematic & you need thick cables.

You only get 5-10 minutes of pumping out of a good battery before it needs to be recharged. I started to do more math, then just Googled for one instead. https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200642018_200642018 claims to be 2hp. Who knows how exaggerated that claim is as with many other motor claims.

/ Transporting boulders #75  
I don't honestly remember if my pump (tilting deck not dump, but the pumps are generic units used in both) is fused or not much less the rating. My 12,000lbs Harbor Freight winch does have breakers, but many do not. The winches pull 200-300@ so fuses are a bit problematic & you need thick cables.

You only get 5-10 minutes of pumping out of a good battery before it needs to be recharged. I started to do more math, then just Googled for one instead. https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200642018_200642018 claims to be 2hp. Who knows how exaggerated that claim is as with many other motor claims.
200-300A could easily be 2-3hp then, sounds about right *glances worriedly at the battery*

/ Transporting boulders #76  

With an empty bed, my dump trailer pump pulls over 300 amps, lifting it up. That was with my truck plugged into the trailer battery (2 AWG setup), at regular idle. With one battery, the voltage drops to around 8-9, but with both batteries, it stays around 10 volts. If I hit the high idle, it stays over 10 volts. I haven’t put a meter on it, when loaded to capacity.

/ Transporting boulders #77  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....
It depends on what size you are talking? Boulder is a subjective measurement! What diameter are they? With diameter you can figure average weight! You can then figure out how many to load! After all this your question is easier to answer because if straps on one boulder you use two one going over it to tie down behind it other over it to tie downs in front of it! If its a row if them pushed to front if trailer then just needs something to keep them from moving backwards! You may be surprised how many you can actually load before overweight!

/ Transporting boulders #78  
About 3 feet across for each boulder. My trailer is rated for 3,500 lb payload. I don't know how much they weigh so maybe 1 or 2 max?
Retired Landscape Contractor. I have hauled a lot of boulders. Your 3' round boulder is over 2 tons. Beware: 3 1/2 foot is probably double that. Truckers don't like hauling boulders. When they do they often have a "rock truck" This is the truck that gets abused and looks like crap. Forgive me please but if you think your 3500# trailer is heavy duty, you are probably not experienced enough to do this.

Note: They can be strapped on a heavy duty pallet and loaded and unloadedby forklift. This gives you trucking options.
Best option is often buying them delivered!