Oil & Fuel transmission oil cooler hose leak

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
About a month ago the top rubber hose going to the transmission oil cooler sprung a leak. It split open and I lost a lot of fluid. So, I replaced both the top and the bottom hoses (thinking preventive maintenance). Now the bottom hose is leaking. It looks like it's seeping out where it connects to the cooler. I thought about tightening it more, but don't want to over tighten it and cut the hose or damage the plastic spout on the cooler. How tight do the hose clamps need to be? Should I have use any type of sealer on it? Also, in a cold climate like where I live now (Conifer Colorado, elevation 8450') where it only gets into the mid 80's for a little while in mid summer, do I even need a transmission oil cooler? Maybe I should just bypass it? I really need to get this fixed, the oil is expensive!

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #2  
I have been known to smear a very light coat of RTV sealant on the hose bib.

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #3  
Do NOT bypass the cooler; it cools hydralics that are being worked; air temp. plays a small role in hyd. temp.

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #4  
About a month ago the top rubber hose going to the transmission oil cooler sprung a leak. Now the bottom hose is leaking.
Hi Mosey,

Do you have the kit installed which eliminates the rubber elbows?

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak
Hi Mosey,

Do you have the kit installed which eliminates the rubber elbows?

Nope, never heard of any kit like that. How does it attach? How much is it?

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #6  
Nope, never heard of any kit like that. How does it attach? How much is it?
These part numbers and prices are from 2006.

Total Cost is approximately $75

Qty
Description
Part Number

Rigid Tube

Rigid Tube

Hoses

Roll of Conduit

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #7  
I will bump this for those of you wondering what the kit looks like when done. You can buy the kit and do it yourself as it is pretty easy. However since mine was in the shop for other reasons I just had them put it on. They charged me roughly $80.00 installed.

This eliminates the 90 degree bends where the hoses deteriorate.

Attachments

• dn.asp1.jpg
    dn.asp1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,936
  • dn.asp2.jpg
    dn.asp2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,701
  • dn.asp3.jpg
    dn.asp3.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • dn.asp4.jpg
    dn.asp4.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,633
   / transmission oil cooler hose leak #8  
I had the same problem with a split hose and trying to keep the replacement from leaking some. Those hoses on mine seem to baloon out. I used some extra hose clamps around the hose just tight enough to support the hose and not let it baloon up so much. Perhaps two more clamps on each hose. It solved the problem for me.

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #9  
On one set I put clamps right by the bend to prevent them from ballooning up. Put the elbow deteriorated from the inside out right on the bend.

/ transmission oil cooler hose leak #10  
Here are the updated prices on the rigid tubes as of 4/18/2011.
87304506 $48.43
87304509 $30.51

With 2 hoses and conduit it came to $93.96

I'm using a TC33D