transfer case

/ transfer case #1  

qwerty15

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Jacobsen Chief 1000
Anyone know how to make a compact transfer case that can be engaged and disengaged. i want to put it on a garden tractor. Or what kind of transfer case the new 5xx jd's have.

/ transfer case #2  
A transfer case to make your tractor 4WD?

If so, this isn't a practical project. Better off finding a used 4WD tractor.

However, if you're determined to do this...think belt drives (gears and shafts would be mighty expensive). You'll have to determine the correct drive ratios to ensure the front and rear wheels turn at the same speed. A Machinery Handbook ($60 or so if you buy a new one...pretty cheap if you can find one in a used book store...the math and gear tables haven't changed in about 80 years, so used should be fine) would be a good starting place to determine what the ratios should be.
I hope you're good at math, 'cause you're going to have to do some before you fabricate anything.
You're also going to have to figure a way to drive half shafts (front axle) so you can steer.

If the transfer case is for running another application (PTO or hydraulic pump), the Machinery Handbook would still come in handy.

/ transfer case #3  
This wasn't a practical project either and was conceived by possibly a more capable person but if you put your mind to it can work. Do you have a machine shop at school? How about converting the whole tractor to hydrostatic? That way you can fabricate hyd. motors to replace you front spindles.

Attachments

• 53-136262-crawler2.jpg
    53-136262-crawler2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 780
   / transfer case #4  
This wasn't a practical project either ..

Boy, that's pretty neat! Probably a lot more doable then adding 4WD to a 2WD tractor. All you'd need is a beam axle up front, and a way to brake the drive wheels individually (for steering).
The tracks might be tough to find, but if one could find a scrapped mini-excavator...

/ transfer case
i know its not practical but it would be a great learning experience while being fun. The guy that made that cub 100 crawler also made a 4x4 cub 100 and made his own transfer case. It has a golf cart differential up front. the transfer case he made could be used in 2wd or 4wd.
No machine shop in school just woodshop and electricity shop.
hydraulic motors: just dont like that

/ transfer case #6  
Go to www.ytmag.com and ask around the vintage Ford forums. They had a kit to add four wheel drive to the old 600 series tractors. It's been a while since I've read about it, the only detail I remember is they used the front drive axle from a Dodge Power Wagon.