Trans speed in low?

/ Trans speed in low? #1  

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
How close is a common older automatic 3 speed trans to 540? Was thinking of taking a 3 pt 2 stage blower and putting old car engine trans on it to clip on a wheel loafer bucket. Run a couple control cables in to the cab.

/ Trans speed in low? #2  
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE,

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel? Your not going to have enough torque to deliver
to the gear box with a three speed transmission from a car or truck simply because you cannot
generate the amount of torque you need.

If you want to play your going to be better off finding the biggest old 2 cycle snowmobile
engine and use the belt drive and cogged belts or a chain drive to the snow blower gear box.

/ Trans speed in low? #3  
How big is the blower? For a wheel loader, prob 8 ft or better. Could fab up a pretty good sized add on. Best to peruse the commercial units on the market. Saw one homebrew unit on You tube that went in the bucket real slick. Thinking it had a diesel.

/ Trans speed in low? #4  
How close is a common older automatic 3 speed trans to 540? Was thinking of taking a 3 pt 2 stage blower and putting old car engine trans on it to clip on a wheel loafer bucket. Run a couple control cables in to the cab.

The Turbo 400 has its gear ratios as 2.48 for 1st, 1.48 for 2nd, and 1.0 for 3rd gear.
The aftermarket has a 2.75 low gear kit.
so factory low of 2.48 going to feed a 540 unit would only be turning about 1340 rpm,
an aftermarket 2.75 gear would still be under 1500 rpm.

But many of the larger blowers are built for 1000 rpm pto's.
So then the 2.48 gear for 1000 rpm would be almost 2500 engine rpm,
and the 2.75 would be 2750 engine rpm.

All the transmissions had different gear ratios;
now the GM 700R had a 3.06 first gear so a 1000 rpm output in fiirst would be 3060 engine rpm,
and 540 would be 1650 rpm.

But get a 4 wheel drive transfer case on the tranny and a bunch of different numbers start to show up;
The NP241 has a low gear ratio of 2.72 to 1 so with that multiply those engine rpm by 2.72,
So a 2.48 low gear and a 2.72 transfer case low and now your at almost 3650 engine rpm for 540 rpm out
,kick her up to second and the 1.48 and 2.72 and your at about 2200 engine rpm for 540.

Every transmission and transfer case has different gear ratios so it would be pick your favorites and see what comes out.
Of course engine trans and transfer case is getting to be a long power train.

/ Trans speed in low? #5  
Sberry
Does your loader have option for running hydraulic attachments? If yes do you know flow and pressure available? Might be easier to go hydraulic drive vs adding another engine.

/ Trans speed in low? #6  
The engine would need a governor to control the rpms for changing loads.

/ Trans speed in low? #7  
You need a governed engine to start, or it will fall on it's face when a load is applied.

Lock up torque converter too, don't think the non OD boxes like a 3 speed even have lock up. I'd think it'd slip like crazy under heavy going and cook the trans.

300 Ford I6 industrial (governed) with a granny low truck 4 speed might work? Control cable on throttle and clutch fork?

If you have the engine, trans and blower already in your yard, suppose you can cobble it together and see if it works.

/ Trans speed in low? #8  
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE,

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel? Your not going to have enough torque to deliver
to the gear box with a three speed transmission from a car or truck simply because you cannot
generate the amount of torque you need.

If you want to play your going to be better off finding the biggest old 2 cycle snowmobile
engine and use the belt drive and cogged belts or a chain drive to the snow blower gear box.

I could be wrong here but I think something like a Chevy 350 V8 with a TH400 behind it will out torque a snowmobile engine and belt drive? Pretty sure I know what I'd pick out of the two for a pickup.