Trailering logs

/ Trailering logs #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I just bought a used 16' 10T gvw flat bed trailer to haul the tractor. Unfortunately, it is one of those that has the fenders above the bed. I can easy load 10'-14' tree stems on the trailer with the tractor but then you have to drive them home while your tractor is at the logging site. I do not have another piece of equipment to unload them at home such as a mini ex which would be super but just not in the cards. I'd been thinking of winching them off long ways as sideways the trailer fenders are in the way. Problem here is that I have nowhere to put the winch as no other vehicle I have has a hitch or can support such. Ordinarily I hire a logging truck but for 4-6 stems, many times it's not worth it. Just wondering how anyone else might cleverly handle this.

/ Trailering logs #2  
What I would do.

Back up to a tree (or other anchor).

Put a cable on the top log and on the tree.

Drive forward until the log is off, then roll it aside.

Repeat.

Move the logs around to the right place after the tractor gets back.

Bruce

/ Trailering logs
What I would do.

Back up to a tree (or other anchor).

Put a cable on the top log and on the tree.

Drive forward until the log is off, then roll it aside.

Repeat.

Move the logs around to the right place after the tractor gets back.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Actually I thought of this as well but for one thing. This trailer has it's loading ramps positioned vertically hinging off a round tube.. They need to be put down to unload as the trailer bed is only 6'wide. Would hate to keep moving their 70 lb lift force as many as a dozen times. These ramps do not seem to be able to be removed either as there is a stop welded on each end.

Did get me thinking about chaining a winch to a tree. Just don't know how many pulls I'd get with a d.c. operating winch on a smallish battery and not the group 27 that's in the tow vehicle.

/ Trailering logs #4  
Just put some 6x6's across your trailer (or what ever size you need to get above the fenders) and put the logs on them. Then can hook the logs off when you get them home...

SR

/ Trailering logs #5  
I just bought a used 16' 10T gvw flat bed trailer to haul the tractor. Unfortunately, it is one of those that has the fenders above the bed. I can easy load 10'-14' tree stems on the trailer with the tractor but then you have to drive them home while your tractor is at the logging site. I do not have another piece of equipment to unload them at home such as a mini ex which would be super but just not in the cards. I'd been thinking of winching them off long ways as sideways the trailer fenders are in the way. Problem here is that I have nowhere to put the winch as no other vehicle I have has a hitch or can support such. Ordinarily I hire a logging truck but for 4-6 stems, many times it's not worth it. Just wondering how anyone else might cleverly handle this.

I haul 20' logs all the time on my 18' trailer. What I do is lay a chain down at the very back of the trailer then once loaded I wrap the chain around and cinch it up with a boomer. When I get home I chain it off as a bunch to a large tree and pull it off as a bunch. I have also used my neighbors truck to pull them off if a tree is not available.

Just be cautious of weight. Wood is heavy so do your math to prevent overloading you trailer.

Chris

/ Trailering logs #6  
With a winch and some snatch block it would be easy to winch them off of the back. Winch at the front, snatch block at the back and attach cable at the front of log.

/ Trailering logs #7  
Just put some 6x6's across your trailer (or what ever size you need to get above the fenders) and put the logs on them. Then can hook the logs off when you get them home... SR
I think this is probably the easiest option. Just make sure you secure the 6x6 or whatever down so they don't move taking logs off.

/ Trailering logs #8  
Just put some 6x6's across your trailer (or what ever size you need to get above the fenders) and put the logs on them. Then can hook the logs off when you get them home... SR
What about when the log rolls off? Then it's going to crush the fender.

/ Trailering logs
I haul 20' logs all the time on my 18' trailer. What I do is lay a chain down at the very back of the trailer then once loaded I wrap the chain around and cinch it up with a boomer. When I get home I chain it off as a bunch to a large tree and pull it off as a bunch. I have also used my neighbors truck to pull them off if a tree is not available.

Just be cautious of weight. Wood is heavy so do your math to prevent overloading you trailer.

Chris

All off at once did not cross my mind so thanks for that Chris. I am pretty much aware of the weight thing but it was well to mention it anyway . 7000 lbs can be gotten to right quick with just a few fat stems.
Do you have a steel or wooden floor on yours?

/ Trailering logs
Just put some 6x6's across your trailer (or what ever size you need to get above the fenders) and put the logs on them. Then can hook the logs off when you get them home...

SR

This isn't a bad idea either Rob. Thank you. This trailer has 10" deep sides and then 4" hooks welded to it's top rail. It might be better to lay a couple three shorter stems of sufficient diameter cross wise to clear the rails. Actually, a combination of your idea and Diamond's just crossed my mind. I can put a few 4" round fence posts down first laterally. This might help the stems roll off easier if I did chain them up to drive off. This roller technique seemed to help the Egyptians when constructing the pyramids.