Trailer

/ Trailer #1  

bryce

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
I am going to build a trailer. 6' x 12'. I plan on using 2" x 4" x 1/4" angle iron for the basic frame. 1" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" sq. tubing across the 6' side, every 16". A 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle on top of tubing to support 2"x 8" x 12' P.T. lumber. A 24" high rail off of deck. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle w/ a 2" x
1 1/2" x 3/16" channel on top. 2" x 4" x 1/4" channel for tonque. A 5200# rated axle, spring, and tire combo w/ brakes. GVW should not exceed 4500#.
What does the group think? Any ideas or improvements?
Thanks, Robert

/ Trailer #2  
What do you plan to haul on the trailer? It sounds heavy duty enough, and I expect it will be a heavy trailer with all the metal in it. Not that there is anything wrong with being heavy, just that some people prefer a lighter trailer to roll around. You will want to make sure the axle is positioned so the tongue weight is right and check the diaginals to keep everything square so it will pull properly.

/ Trailer #3  
By doing a bit of reenforcing of the toprail corners, and prestressing the angle frame relative to the toprail, you'll create a truss that will greatly enhance the load carrying capacity. Rectangular tubing across the back will also make things a lot stronger and easier to build. You also might want to consider desingning in a tilt capacity, along with future winch mounting.
My experience has been totally building the siderails first, and then building the rest of the trailer inverted cuts fabrication time considerably. It also makes the welding a lot easier.
Don't forget, plan and install plenty of tie downs.

/ Trailer #4  
I take 2x4 3/16 tubing and cut 4" long to weld on outside of frame for stake pockets (2x4 wood or 3" channel will fit).
2-3 on front and back
4-5 on each side
Make good tiedowns for chain or straps and side boards or
headache rack.