Trailer won’t dump!

/ Trailer won’t dump! #1  

aeroplane1974

Tractor
kioti lk3054
Hello everyone. My dad and I own a 7 x 16 dump trailer. Love the thing for what it does, haul our backhoe, move load of shingles, loads of logs, etc.
Well about a month ago, had a load of logs to unload, and it did, but battery was weak, as I held the button to dump the logs, (slowly mind you, due to weak battery) noticed some smoke coming from battery/motor compartment. When I opened to inspect, saw that the hydraulic houses were making contact with a terminal on the motor, and were melting.
After dumping the logs, and bringing the issue up to dad, we both decided it best to shift the motor over, just an inch and a half, which would keep the hydraulic lines from making contact. So that’s what I did. After doing so, changed the battery, hooked it back up, and the thing ran up and down, so I thought. I hit the raise and lower button just to check, and it did, it ran. Goodies to go, right? Wrong!
Well went to get another load of logs. And to my surprise when I arrived home, to unload, all that happens is a click, a click when I hit the up, a click when I hit the down! Not good! So with what little I know about electricity, ( it’ll kill you, if not, it’ll hurt real bad!) did YouTube research. Conclusion, bad solenoid. So replaced with exact solenoid. No bueno, still just the clicking. Bypassed solenoid by jumping with large screwdriver, motor seems to work fine, cleaned all terminals, moved around wires.
I am at a loss. And still have a load of logs on the trailer.!

/ Trailer won’t dump! #2  
Try a different battery or put that one on a trickle charger and let it get back to full strength. The dealer told me when people run the trailer on low battery voltage bad things happen. Keep it charged up.

/ Trailer won’t dump! #3  
Have the battery load-tested. It may appear to be good, but the way to know, is the load test.
Most automotive parts stores (Advanced Auto, Napa Auto, Parts-Plus), will do a free load test.

Make certain that the battery cables (both cables, both ends), are clean, dry and tight. If there is a bad (dirty corroded), ground, it will cause this.

How about post a picture of the battery, pump and solenoid terminals.

Last edited:
   / Trailer won’t dump! #4  
A low battery is my first suspension. Also make sure the battery cables are tight.

/ Trailer won’t dump! #5  
If the battery is still in the trailer, jump it with your vehicle, that's a quick test to check your new battery. Does sound like a weak battery though.

/ Trailer won’t dump!
So I had the battery checked, told me nothing wrong with it. I had, and I have charged it to make sure it was charged. Really at a loss!

/ Trailer won’t dump! #7  
So I had the battery checked, told me nothing wrong with it. I had, and I have charged it to make sure it was charged. Really at a loss!

may want to still do as was suggested above re: jumping it. Or grab a known, good battery and try that. That should definitely rule out the battery itself being the cause.

That's what I would do at least, as the person who checked the battery and said it was good might be wrong. It happens. Easy to double check, so might as well do it

/ Trailer won’t dump! #8  
I still vote low battery or bad connections. Have you tried jumping it? Hooking the jumper cables to the pump side of the cables would be preferable. You could also try holding a volt meter on the cables while you attempt to dump it and see if the voltage drops or maintains above 12. Again holding the meter at the pump terminals would be better than the battery post.

/ Trailer won’t dump! #9  
Jump the switches in the control. One may have burned out. You can check it other ways, but if you have the stuff, you know how.

/ Trailer won’t dump!
Well as of last week, dumo trailer back up and running. Thanks to Ole dad! I eventually broke down and called the trailer sales that sold the trailer. It's a Hawke brand, and we were second owners on a gently used 2009 model.
Spoke with the mechanic that works on their trailers, nice guy, told me to bring in, so I did, mind you, with full load of logs. Got there, the nice mechanic came out looked at it, hit the button on the remote couple dozen times, tapped the motor with a hammer, unplugged remote, checked connections. Said he wasn't sure, but possible motor/starter. Suggested taking to someone that could look to see if motor was bad.
Left there took to my dad's, told him the news. Left the trailer with him. The next day, he calls and says listen to this. Over the phone I hear the trailer motor working!!! Asked what he had done, replaced 2 nuts and 2 washers, they were corroded on the motor. That is all It was, the 2 nuts/washers on the motor that attaches to the ground bar. They had been taken off and steel brushed, but were badly corroded. Thank you to my superior dad!!! And thank all of you for your input. No longer frustrated with dump trailer. Know on to my next problems, side by side won't run, subaru won't start. Always something, God bless, have a wonderful day!