Trailer Sway, any thoughts?

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #1  

fctadam

Tractor
2004 TC30
Hello all,

I have a 04 Dodge Ram 2500 with the hemi, and an 18 ft tandem axel trailer with a 10,000 GVR. I'm using the rig to tow a TC-30 with fel, and backhoe. Figuring the tractor ways 5,000 lbs and the trailer is 2,500 or so witch puts well below the weight. When loading the trailer for towing I pull all the way forward, position the rear tires under both axles. The truck does not squat much at all. It does sit a little low because the hitch comes straight out with no rise. It may only need a two inch raise. The problem when going down the road is it will sometimes begin swaying fairly well. It tends to do it more around curves, and when the speed reaches higher than 50. What could be some possible causes for this? I have towed heavier loads with smaller trucks and trailers in the past for work. So I know I’m not over loaded and think it’s a positioning issue more than any other. Could there be to much tongue weight? Should I try parking the tractor further back on the trailer then try a road trip? Or could it be the receiver hitch is to low?

Thanks for any thoughts and or tips.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #2  
Most likely cause is not enough tounge weight.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts?
Really? Uhmmm I cannot place the tractor any further forward. The rear wheels are positioned almost exactly over both axels. Although it does have the backhoe weight off the back. I tried uploading a picture so you all could see but I cannot manage to get it to work.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #4  
The photo has to be under 100kb to work.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #5  
I know that when I pull my L3130 on a 16ft trailer with a FEL and 5 ft Woods Brushbull, I have to place my bucket forward of the angle iron front rail to keep the trailer from swaying. In my situation the bucket is forward is forward of the front rail and the ends of the loader arms are behind the rail. This position actually allows the tractor to be positioned where the FEL provides additional protection from front and rear movement. Another option in your situation may be to back the tractor on the trailer.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts?
I think mine are way bigger, any idea how to shrink them?

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #7  
It could be that the weight is too far forward.Try moving the machine back 4to 6 inches and give it another try.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #8  
I pull a MF 135 around with a half ton truck that handles it very well. I use a sway control arm and I never have a problem. I use to pull it without it and never had any problems then, I have an 18' utility trailer (no brakes no sway control) and I never had much of a problem then but I wasn't towing a long way. Now I my uncles trailer because it has brakes and he has a sway controller on it and it has to be used. You may look into that, it sure helps and isn't hard to hook up. You could probably do it relatively inexpensive and the next trailer I buy for this purpose will have it. Only other suggestion is to get rid of that Dodge and get a Ford, you'll be miles ahead and have a better vehicle.LOL

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #9  
about your pictures< open up your photo editing program and depending on the program , clik on image, resize, adjust or something like that and resize them to 640x480 that should get u under 100.

/ Trailer Sway, any thoughts? #10  
Like Hammer1995 says, not enough tongue weight. With backhoe on tractor there is way more weight hanging off the back of the tractor than the front as most of the loader weight does not counterweigh the backhoe. If you could get farther forward you would be better off or if you can back the tractor on the trailer, this would probably solve the problem or load the truck with a 1000lbs of weight. Some other implement. I experienced the same thing, as soon as I got more weight on the truck or tractor further forward the swaying disappeared.

Steve