trailer plug replacement

/ trailer plug replacement #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Must have done at least 7 or 8 of these over the years. Inside the spade connector, there are wire terminals that simply corrode out. I've put grease, used tape to keep out the weather, and even silicone on these connectors to little avail. I'm wondering if it better to get the molded type and make the wire connection down the line and then put a shrink sleeve over the union of soldered wires. Has anyone found a better way to solve the inside terminal corrosion on replacement 7 pole spade connectors?

/ trailer plug replacement #2  
Move to Arizona.

/ trailer plug replacement #3  
On both of my trucks I moved the trailer connector into the box. That's the end of corrosion problems. I just use a short extension cord over the tail gate for my bumper pulls. I also use a soft bungee over the tail gate to hold the plug up so that it's not in the slush etc.

/ trailer plug replacement #4  
Get a long pigtail with molded connector (as you already want), run it into a weather proof electrical box and use a terminal strip. That's pretty much how the rental trucks are set up. Simplifies troubleshooting/ repair and that rare time when the trailer (not your own) is wired differently.

/ trailer plug replacement #5  
I have had the most success with coating the completed connector terminals with NAPA Battery and Terminal Protector, but I am sure there are quality products by other brands as well.

Moving the connection somewhere else by installing a sealed and molded plug, moves the problem somewhere else too.

/ trailer plug replacement #6  
I'm close to salt water and the roads here are heavily salted in the winter. I had the same corrosion problem, tried all kinds of greases and nothing worked. But in years of owning and operating Class 8 trucks and trailers I never had this corrosion problem with the 7-pin ROUND pin connectors used on heavy duty trucks. So, I converted to that system - end of problem (I still grease the pins as I always did). And there is a bonus - if anybody wants to borrow my trailer - sorry, the connector is not compatible with the 7-spade RV setup.

/ trailer plug replacement
I have had the most success with coating the completed connector terminals with NAPA Battery and Terminal Protector, but I am sure there are quality products by other brands as well.

Moving the connection somewhere else by installing a sealed and molded plug, moves the problem somewhere else too.

It's funny but this was an idea that came to me last night just before I dozed off. I had never tried this stuff on the connectors but will give this a shot if I do not get molded connector.
I think a covered connector certainly would do it's duty as it applies to the elements. It's as if one needs a pig tail only to connect vehicle to trailer and then take the pig tail after you're done with it and throw it in the vehicle for storage. There may be room in the battery box working the emergency brakes to install a connector.

/ trailer plug replacement
I'm close to salt water and the roads here are heavily salted in the winter. I had the same corrosion problem, tried all kinds of greases and nothing worked. But in years of owning and operating Class 8 trucks and trailers I never had this corrosion problem with the 7-pin ROUND pin connectors used on heavy duty trucks. So, I converted to that system - end of problem (I still grease the pins as I always did). And there is a bonus - if anybody wants to borrow my trailer - sorry, the connector is not compatible with the 7-spade RV setup.

The problem I keep experiencing is not at the connection point as the plug is inserted to nor the spade terminals within the plug. It is where the wires connect to the plug. These little screws seem to rot out no matter what they're made of.

/ trailer plug replacement #9  
The problem I keep experiencing is not at the connection point as the plug is inserted to nor the spade terminals within the plug. It is where the wires connect to the plug. These little screws seem to rot out no matter what they're made of.

Have you ever tried spraying the inside of the plug with Fluid Film? I'm wondering if that wouldn't work.

/ trailer plug replacement #10  
I didn't mention that I have always sealed those screw connections with Vaseline and in the last few years I also spray with Rust Check film. I then thoroughly wrap the whole back end of the plug and the cable with electrical tape. On the big trucks I also covered that with brush-on electrical tape or brush-on contact cement (same stuff at half the price). Fluid film should work.