Trailer Jack

/ Trailer Jack #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
I have a 10000 LB jack on my 24 foot trailer and I want to use my 19.2 volt drill to work it, I tried it with my 19.2 impact and broke the adapter I was using. Has anyone done this or converted a standard jack into an electric one?

/ Trailer Jack #2  
I'd get a power window motor from Surplus Center or American Science and Surplus (or any donor vehicle that was handy). Bonus is that it would be 12v and could run off the power from the plug, down side is that there would need to be a vehicle or good breakaway battery to operate it. Probably a good thing that the adapter failed before the impact damaged the acme threads in the jack, can't imagine that being good for it.

/ Trailer Jack
I'd get a power window motor from Surplus Center or American Science and Surplus (or any donor vehicle that was handy). Bonus is that it would be 12v and could run off the power from the plug, down side is that there would need to be a vehicle or good breakaway battery to operate it. Probably a good thing that the adapter failed before the impact damaged the acme threads in the jack, can't imagine that being good for it.

I am thinking that is what was wrong I used the impact I think the drill would be smoother and less stressful to the jack.

/ Trailer Jack #4  
If you do go with a dedicated motor drive, do a little scratch pad math and figure how much force will be required to raise the front with a full load, or a bit more. Sometimes it takes a bit of grunt to move the handle which has a 10 or 11 inch mechanical advantage over the bare shaft. Wouldn't do to have a motor that only raised it when empty. Also, keep in mind that the tailor-mades will have limit switches to prevent full extension or retraction to the point of binding.

/ Trailer Jack #5  
The drill will work as long as there is no weight on the leg like rolling it up to move trailer.
But it will take too much force to raise the trailer weight.
I had a Truck Camper that had 4 legs and I used a drill with adapter to raise or lower with no weight on legs.

/ Trailer Jack #6  
Most electric jacks I've seen have gear reduction on the motor to amplify torque - they turn MUCH slower than any drill can and deliver full torque (drills are not good at torque at low RPM), so you might lift it empty but I doubt w/ a full load. good luck, let us know.

/ Trailer Jack
Good food for thought thanks for all the replies, if the jack was a two speed jack I think I would have a better chance but it's not.

/ Trailer Jack #8  
About the only way would be to use a gear return on of some type, then use the drill to turn the reduction unit. Be a little work to make one up and not sure it would be worth the effort.

/ Trailer Jack #9  
I have a 10000 LB jack on my 24 foot trailer and I want to use my 19.2 volt drill to work it, I tried it with my 19.2 impact and broke the adapter I was using. Has anyone done this or converted a standard jack into an electric one?

They do make conversion kits.
Bulldog Powered-Drive Kit for Single-Speed Jacks w/ 12,-lb Capacity Bulldog Accessories and Parts BD18242:)

I have no experience with one yet, but have been thinking of doing a conversion myself as I am tired of cranking it by hand. The other option is to go with an electric over hydraulic and spend the big $$$$
Atlas Backpack hydraulic jack
Fastest and most affordable hydraulic trailer jack. SJX-12 by Stillwell Jacks. - YouTube

/ Trailer Jack #10  
For what Bulldog wants for their kit, I could find something that would work plus any couplers or drive components, plus any metal needed for fab work and still have over two thirds left.