trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #11  
If it's a stamped steel hitch, I'd suspect it somehow got bent. The prior owner could have backed into it hard. If it's just bolted on, easy to replace it if using a lot of lubrication doesn't help.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #12  
If your going to spray it use a lubricant designed to lubricate.
WD40 (the 40th try at a Water Displacement solvent).
Grease is the only lubricant hitch ball manufacturers recommend. Grease is a heavy-duty lubricant that is capable of providing great lubrication, even under enormous pressure.

Whichever grease you use, you’ll only need to apply a small amount to the hitch ball. Manufacturers recommend the following options:

from
What's The Best Hitch Ball Grease?.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #13  
replace the coupler, another stamped coupler will be fine for a splitter . if it never gets bent again, not likely you will ever have a problem. I like the the bulldog style couplers, I have one on my car trailer, easy on and off, but they get damaged easy too if the trailer gets backed into something. I have seen them with busted pivot pins and split collars.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #14  
Stamped couplers are only $15 at HF.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #15  
The junky stamped coupler wasn’t holding up on my wood splitter so I cut it off and went with a pintle ring. I purposely got the adjustable height one so I could remove it for extra security. View attachment 821649
I use the adjustable version on larger trailers. On little ones the miserable ball couplers get replaced with a simple piece of receiver tubing.

Still get about 2-1/2 inches of height adjustment capability by using weld-on tow rings with a small tab (instead of store bought straight ones) with the ring welded to the top of the 2-inch tubing. Or bottom, if turning it over.

Also, using the receiver method allows using extensions of whatever length is desired. I have 24, 48. and 60-inch pieces of tubing for the purpose. Simple 2x2 1/4" tubing with the 5/8" holes drilled at the ends. And a collar to be able to reattach the tow ring, of course.

If, for some odd reason, I'd want to use a regular coupler, I could stick one of those into the receiver tubing. But that hasn't happened in 15 or so years.
DSCN5038[1].JPG
DSCN5039[1].JPG
DSCN5040[1].JPG

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #16  
I use the adjustable version on larger trailers. On little ones the miserable ball couplers get replaced with a simple piece of receiver tubing.

Still get about 2-1/2 inches of height adjustment capability by using weld-on tow rings with a small tab (instead of store bought straight ones) with the ring welded to the top of the 2-inch tubing. Or bottom, if turning it over.

Also, using the receiver method allows using extensions of whatever length is desired. I have 24, 48. and 60-inch pieces of tubing for the purpose. Simple 2x2 1/4" tubing with the 5/8" holes drilled at the ends. And a collar to be able to reattach the tow ring, of course.

If, for some odd reason, I'd want to use a regular coupler, I could stick one of those into the receiver tubing. But that hasn't happened in 15 or so years.View attachment 821792View attachment 821793View attachment 821794

Part of the reason I wanted the adjustable rail is it’s the same as my other trailers. I could borrow a 2-5/16 ball mount from one of my other trailer if I needed to. Usually I just pull the wood splitter with a regular trailer ball through the pintle hitch ring. I can just lift it up with the ball on my equipment that way without having to get off to latch it. I only do that off-road obviously. Part of my problem with the previous ball hitch is firewood was damaging the latch handle and the pintle ring fixed that.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #17  
I can just lift it up with the ball on my equipment that way without having to get off to latch it. I only do that off-road obviously.
I do the same thing, but with an open pintle hook, if using the tractor to move a trailer.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #18  
As posted above a slight Jack knife or other issues will mess these bail type couplings up. Usually it’s the sides getting bent. My opinion they are junk. I Replace them on any trailor I obtain. What I know as a bulldog style are hard to mess up or have come loose.

Bulldog style hood type

Bail type prone to problems

Just like any hitch, bull dog hitches have their draw backs as well.

I work in the rental industry, we either use bulldog hitches or pintle hooks.

The issue with the bull dog is you need to keep the pivots lubed so rust doesn't take over.

The second draw back, is if someone slams into the very tip while backing up to the trailer. Since they hinge in that spot, any type of dent makes them extremely difficult to open or close.