Trailer for a BX

/ Trailer for a BX #1  

Anonymous Poster

OK, so I'm getting a BX2200 with a 60" deck and a snow blower. Most of my trailering needs will be for a ~ weekly 5 mile drive from my house to my parents house to do their lawn or driveway. What do I need to haul this combination? I'm guessing from what I've seen that a minimum would be a single axle 6.5' x 12' trailer. The 6.5' width being needed for the 60" deck and the 12' length being needed for the tractor with the snowblower mounted.

Do I have this right or am I missing something here? Also, we have a couple of trailer places near here that quoted me on trailers of this size. One pushed a $1365 single axle, the other a $1685 double axle (with brakes). Are these prices in line or should I keep looking?

MCA

/ Trailer for a BX #2  
I don't know what size trailer you need but you need room to position the tractor and implement(s) so you'll have the weight distributed right.

As far as trailer prices, I don't know what one with brakes would cost. I do know I can buy a new 16' tandem (2-3,500 lb axles) equipment trailer for $625.00. That's with used tires and no ramps.

/ Trailer for a BX #3  
I have a BX1800 w/FEL, 60" MMM and have trailered it on my 6x10 single axle 2990 lb rated trailer. Having said this, I am currently looking for a 14' or 16' trailer as it is too long for the 10' with the FEL on, so I have to rest it on the drop gate. The 6' is wide enough if it is the 76" inside dimension like mine (called a 6x10).

Prices I have gotten so far for a replacement Car-Mate (brand I have currently) are $1080 for a 6x12 single axle 2990lb. (I can't remember if this included gate or not, but if not, the gate for one of the other models I was looking at was $175 4' standard or $225 4' split). The 6x12 wide version (80" as opposed to 76") is $1180.

To go with the 7000lb rated tandem w/electric brakes on both axles, it is $1805 for the 6x12 or $1955 for the 6x12 wide.

Hope this helps, I have also attached a picture of my current setup which isn't ideal if I want to take the FEL with me as I can't get a good angle on the tie down straps, but of course I am trailering 200 miles round trip each weekend in the summer so I might be more inclined to keep mine if it was only for 5 miles.

Attachments

• 269039-P5060004.JPG
    269039-P5060004.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 394
   / Trailer for a BX #4  
I forgot to add that I agree that weight distribution is VERY important and I highly recommend electric brakes if you are ever going to trailer very far. I had a 16' without brakes take me for a heck of a ride a few years ago that I never want to repeat again. When their improperly loaded (and overloaded in my case) and they start swaying back and forth, electric brakes can make a huge difference in regaining control.

My trailer ended up taking me off the side of the road and I got it stopped about 4 feet from hitting the trees!!!!

/ Trailer for a BX #5  
MCA; Your needs and duties sound like you could be my clone /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif! I, too, have a BX and make a 5 mile trip to take care of my Mother's place. I am using a 6.5'x12' trailer. I have enough room to trailer the tractor, MMM, and FEL. on this trailer. If you are determined to save money, that size will do the job.
I would recommend that you get a 16' tandem, though. You will be able to handle an attached 3pt hitch implement if the need ever arises. You will undoubtedly find other uses for the bigger trailer. You will be underloaded on that trailer with your BX, and that ain't bad. I did not buy a tandem because my tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma, and I don't have the power to take advantage of the extra trailer capacity.When I buy a full sized truck, a tandem trailer won't be far behind. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Take care, Will

/ Trailer for a BX #6  
I just had a brake controller installed on my Yukon Denali today and was able to get another opinion on trailers. The owner of the trailer shop has a BX22 and he said go with the 6.5 x 16 2x3500# axles. He said you must get the balance right and the 14 footer will put the tractor off the balance points.
I am picking up a Load Trail 7000 GVW with slide ramps, the ramps will help when unloading my B7500 with the backhoe. The mesh gate will interfer when the BH dips down rolling off.
The trailer is costing $1750. BTW. The brake controller installation cost was $35. Looked easy but for that price it was a no brainer.

Mike

/ Trailer for a BX #7  
MCA
I would have to recommend getting a trailer with brakes due to an experience I had with a UPS truck jetting out in front of me and putting me and my trailer in the ditch. Actually that time I had brakes on the trailer but they didn't work. I lucked out and didn't get any damage but I never felt so helpless as being pushed by that trailer with my foot on the floor. If your truck is much bigger than the load it will be OK 95% of the time but that 5% is what you need to prepare for.

Don't worry I fixed the brakes on that old trailer.
Eric

/ Trailer for a BX #8  
Hey Will if you're his clone, I must be yours. I have the 6.5'x12' trailer for a BX2200 and a small pull vehical as well.

I agree with Will, it does the job fine, but the minute I get a larger truck again I will get a 16' tan. trailer. No question.

/ Trailer for a BX #9  
Guy; It neat to know there is someone out there doing things as I do. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifIt makes me feel like I am not alone.
The only problem I see in getting a tandem trailer is that i spoiled myself with my 12' unit. It is an aluminum Worthington, in my humble opinion the nicest trailer I have seen. It cost me $1800, and that was a good deal from a close friend! I am looking at $3000 for the tandem /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, but if I buy something else, I am not sure I'll be happy. Sometimes, it stinks to have a taste for the nice things!
Take care,
Will

/ Trailer for a BX #10  
I have a BX2200 with FEL and cab, 48" box scraper, and a 42" tiller. I have a 16' tandem axle 7000lb trailer for it. I looked at both 12 and 14 footers but went for the safety of the 16 footer as it has the heavier rating and brakes as well. I have also found many other uses for the trailer that I would not have been able to do with a smaller trailer. I don't have to worry about pulling it as I have a F250 4x4 with a 7.5L engine. If you can, get the 16 footer. Better safe than sorry later.