Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5?

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
Yep, that's it. I've gone through the search but haven't found my situation so I'm looking for advice.

I have a 3.5 car garage at my home and no place at my ranch to store anything covered. Therefore, everything needs to fit in the garage. My intention is to have my wife's CTS behind the single door and use the double door to park the trailer with the MX5 on it along side the JD3720 and park my ZTR and FXSTDIS in front of the tractor.

My problem is my garage is only 22' 4" deep. I don't want to fill it with trailer length I don't need and this is all the trailer will do. I have access to larger trailers but it requires coordination and travel.

Recommendations on length? Configuration?

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #2  
Well your post is a bit confusing. Are you looking to put everthing on the trailer and then put the trailer in the garage? I had a 25' gn that I moved my 3320 with loader and brush hog with. I used about 20' plus the tail wheel. I now have a 18' 12k tilt bed and the cutter hangs off and load placement is tough. I'd get no shorter than a 20'. A 10k should give you room to grow.

Matt

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5?
Well your post is a bit confusing. Are you looking to put everthing on the trailer and then put the trailer in the garage? I had a 25' gn that I moved my 3320 with loader and brush hog with. I used about 20' plus the tail wheel. I now have a 18' 12k tilt bed and the cutter hangs off and load placement is tough. I'd get no shorter than a 20'. A 10k should give you room to grow.

Matt

Sorry. My garage door height won't allow me to put a loaded trailer in the garage. My intent is to have the trailer in the garage with the MX5 on it next to the tractor, hook the trailer onto the truck, drive the tractor out and attach the MX5, then load the tractor on with the MX5 and FEL attached.

Growing isn't an option until I get a secure storage out at the ranch. Even then, I'll have the stuff delivered to the ranch and there they'll stay. Truth is, once I get that done, the MX5 will also stay out there but the tractor/FEL will stay in the garage at home. That's why I'm trying to keep the trailer as small as possible. My concern with a 20' is getting it in the 22'4" garage and getting around it at all.

Any other folks running a similar load with an 18' trailer? CG problems and solutions?

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #4  
I only have a 16 foot PJ car hauler. I won't recommend it as "the best"....but it gets the job done and will haul my tractor/loader and one implement if I need repairs and service. 7000# max. Yes....any attached implement may be hanging off the back...but I don't use it that way. I bought it as it keeps the weight down for SUV hauling of my tractor or implements for occasional use (and the price was right).

Not sure how you intend to use yours....but if you want to haul the tractor and implements....longer is better. :thumbsup:

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #5  
Going to be tough getting a trailer in that garage. You have to take into account the lenght of the trailer tongue. A 10k hudson equipment trailer with a 16' deck has a 23' overall length, according to their website.

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #6  
A couple things to consider:

I believe length of trailer is usually referred to as usable platform and does not include trailer tongue (i.e. - I have a 20' trailer but with tongue is closer to 24' in total length). Because you are trying to fit total length in your garage you should be more concerned with that as it sounds like you may be maxed at a 16' trailer which will really be pushing it.

To keep MX5 on trailer in the garage for storage means you are backing onto the trailer with cutter attached in order to detach and drive off. Not sure about setup on other trailers but doing so with my 4105 and trailer won't work. Backing up to the trailer (and coming off with cutter attached) does not provide the proper angle for cutter to be raised enough above trailer before rear tires reach ramps backing up. Again, this is my situation and something you might want to check. Truthfully, I haven't tried it to be 100% sure but eyeballing it doesn't look like it will.

Just some thoughts.

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5?
Wow, it's starting to look desperate. I suppose I can leave the MX5 out at the ranch in some cheap shed...anchor and chain it down.

Trashing my own thread, any thoughts on minimum trailer lengths for hauling just the tractor and FEL?

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #8  
If you have forks you could place the mx5 on the trailer that way. No need to drive on and off.

Matt

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #9  
I think you are really barking up the wrong tree. Get some storage at the ranch or find a storage unit near by to store it. We can get a storage unit here for $50 per month to store it in.

Chris

/ Trailer Choice recommendation for JD3720/300CX/MX5? #10  
I don't see the point in storing a trailer in a garage. Buy a tongue lock, which will discourage casual thieves. If someone really wants to steal from you they will figure out a way, but it takes a power tool and some time to cut one of those locks off. If someone is really cruising around thinking, "I'm going to steal a utility trailer today," they'll probably find one that is easier to take than yours.