Trailer build

/ Trailer build #11  
I'm not convinced a gate HAS to 'kill' a truss.

Doesn't have to, BUT you gonna play he!! making de gate function as a part of de truss.
Much easier to just put truss below de gate.

Gives you a good start on adding a leaf spring lifter to de gate too.

/ Trailer build
I have a 5" channel for the frame and angle (2x4 I think) for the cross braces. It's a 7000# on 2 - 3500# axles. I've not had any issues with to much flex and it's been overloaded on occasion. It is not a truss design.
How long is your trailer?

/ Trailer build #13  
Hey everyone
I want to build a second trailer since the first one built has not given me any problems in two years.

This is going to be my mowing trailer so is not going haul anything heavy two 3500lb would be plenty.
I need the trailer 20ft long because my current trailer is 16ft and with three mowers there is not a lot of room left.

My dilemma is the frame. I have to have a side gate so the frame has to support the weight of the trailer without the rails for support.
I was thinking 4" C-Channel but somebody told that without the rails for support it was going to be too much flex.

Would 6" channel work?
With 3" channel for the cross members at 16" on center.
I did one of those like that years ago. Just ad a second. 4" frame rail next to the other one. Double up on the area between the front corner on that side and the front spring perch

/ Trailer build #14  
With a trailer that long I would build a tandem trailer and would use an under-structure frame then build the upper deck on that. Something like 6" junior I Beam at 4.400 Lbs. / Ft. or 8" junior I Beam at 6.500 Lbs. / Ft. You could build the side gate then without compromising anything.

/ Trailer build #15  
When I use tubing on a trailer, I make sure there's a way for water to drain.
I was given a trailer with a tube frame, there was a LOT of water trapped the the tubes.
I notch the bottom ends just a little before welding.