Trail Shoes....

/ Trail Shoes.... #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Stepped up my jogging lately, so needed to update shoes. Ended up with these; first time trying Salomon. Blown away, on my first loop today.

Not inexpensive (they have lower price points, w/o Goretex), but you know the saying......

For this time of year, they are like the best pair of snow-tires I've ever had, and now that I've tried Goretex, they will def be my Winter choice - my feet have NEVER been this dry after a Winter run.

I don't do much pavement, so this is a great choice for my needs. Compound is soft enough, that I wouldn't recommend these for pavement walking/running.... at least until I have more time, to see how these wear.

Anyway, not often I'm THIS impressed by a product I've tried, so wanted to mention the brand, in case anyone is in the market for a trail, walking, or hiking shoe. (They have separate Hiking models, with some similar features, but heavier built). They have other models, with different treads and compounds.

I'm about What Works (Brand-blind in other words), so post up what has worked for you !

Rgds, D

Salomon Speedcross 6 Gore-Tex Trail Running Shoes - Men's | MEC

1708285983700.png

Attachments

• 1708285848256.png
    1708285848256.png
    591.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1708285915819.png
    1708285915819.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 29
   / Trail Shoes.... #2  
I have "Norwegian fat foot". 10 1/2 - 3E. A whole lot of the uber fancy running/trail/work footware don't make a wide model.

I've settled on KEEN footware. They are available locally - they fit - they last me four years or more.

Like many - I can be exceptionally tough on footware. After four years or so - I literally wear the tread down till its almost completely flat. That's on a shoe with a Vibrim sole.

/ Trail Shoes.... #4  
Keen has gone downhill in my experience. First couple lasted years, the last two didn't - at 8 months and less than 4 for the last pair. Same usage.....
Maybe I was just unlucky....

/ Trail Shoes.... #5  
I love trail running... more like trail "wogging"... mix between a fast walk and slow jog... (27 years of jumping out of an aircraft whilst in flight = bad knees).

My shoe of choice these days are made by Hoka. I have the Speed Goat 5's. They are very comfy and have gusseted tongues to keep out the trail debris. They are not goretex, but then again, I have never really needed a goretex liner.

Salomon's are super nice... been using them for years as well.

/ Trail Shoes....
I have "Norwegian fat foot". 10 1/2 - 3E. A whole lot of the uber fancy running/trail/work footware don't make a wide model.

I've settled on KEEN footware. They are available locally - they fit - they last me four years or more.

Like many - I can be exceptionally tough on footware. After four years or so - I literally wear the tread down till its almost completely flat. That's on a shoe with a Vibrim sole.
My semi-retired Saucony light trail shoe these Salomon replaced have a Vibram sole - for my use - light jogging rural roads (dirt shoulders that I stay on mostly), occasional trail runs - that sole has stood up very well, matching my experience with Vibram on boots. But, with my jogging shoes, I never wear them just for walking, nor do I wear a loaded pack while jogging. Carcass body is starting to give out on the Saucony, and it's no where near the rigidity these new Salomons are, and probably wasn't new. If I could have found a new Saucony of that model, I probably would have bought it..... I probably had over 5 years on those, and did like them.

Hadn't heard of Keen, but I do see Hoka around here.

Rgds, D.

/ Trail Shoes.... #7  
Only thing I hate about the speedcross is they won't do pavement...you'll start tearing off the little gripper nubs in about .27 miles. If you're 100% trails great but mixed pretty much no go. At least that's how they've been for me. Wore out two pairs.

/ Trail Shoes....
I love trail running... more like trail "wogging"... mix between a fast walk and slow jog... (27 years of jumping out of an aircraft whilst in flight = bad knees).

My shoe of choice these days are made by Hoka. I have the Speed Goat 5's. They are very comfy and have gusseted tongues to keep out the trail debris. They are not goretex, but then again, I have never really needed a goretex liner.

Salomon's are super nice... been using them for years as well.
Trails..... regular life schedule... I don't usually make the time to drive somewhere just to run a trail, but I probably should.

MEC organized a transponder trail run pre-Covid. The only other organized run I'd gone on before was a 10k street charity run - that was fun too, but I REALLY enjoyed that transponder run - it was a blast.

And... that was with me, picking a wider spot on the trail to pass a lady, and being so EXTRA careful not to jostle or graze her that I missed seeing a really strong root hoop sticking up in the air, which hooked me down cartoon-style, grazing my shin nicely. Got up, feeling like an idiot, answered the nice runners asking if I was Ok with "that'll buff right-out, I've done way worse working in my garage", smiled, and got back to jogging. I really enjoyed the variability of the terrain, it was a spectacular course.... and I got to finish the course with dried blood running down my leg as a souvenir :cool:.

Rgds, D.

/ Trail Shoes....
Only thing I hate about the speedcross is they won't do pavement...you'll start tearing off the little gripper nubs in about .27 miles. If you're 100% trails great but mixed pretty much no go. At least that's how they've been for me. Wore out two pairs.
That is a concern for me....will see, and I may reserve these for Winter use - that way the tiny bit of pavement I can't avoid will often be snow or ice covered. It does seem to be a very soft sole-compound, which is magic this time of year, but like my snow-tires, wouldn't like July temps.

Rgds, D.

/ Trail Shoes.... #10  
On the other hand - I have three pair of custom made boots. They fit like a fine glove - cost was truly exorbitant. $600 to $750 for each pair.

They were specifically made for use when I rode motorcycles.