Trading Z655 - Z915E or Z540R?

/ Trading Z655 - Z915E or Z540R? #1  

BlessedMess

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
3 year old Z655 (54" deck, 144 hrs) has developed a left wheel motor failure, however there aren't any parts in Deere inventory for warranty repair. Dealer is giving great trade, enough to keep me in JD mower family and interested in either a near direct replacement (Z540R) or upgrade to Z915E. Considering a 60" deck this time too.

Purpose: ~3 acre yard mowing every 4-7 days depending on growth/weather/time. With the 60" deck I may increase mowing 2+/- acres (total of 5) of adjoining field on a ~8-10 day interval that is currently bush hogged every 3-4 weeks. Both have minimal obstacles other than trees/bushes, gentle slopes, and two sides of a long ditch.

Pros of Z540R ($5k before trade): Familiar, lower cost, lighter weight (easier on turf and gas? tradeoff: worse ride?), 4 year warranty
Cons: Lower Zs less durable? (also had an unrelated mower part failure last summer), no seatbelt, wish it could cut higher than 4+" and improved deck height adjustment, oil changes a pain due to filter location, visual sight for gas inconvenient and silly in this $$-range, low tow rating with optional hitch receiver (occassionally tow dumping cart, roller and spike aerater)

Pros of Z915E ($7k before trade): Heavier duty everything, 7 iron deck, 5.5" cut height + dial = perfect, faster, bigger gas tank, 0% financing available, seatbelt and rollover bar, higher tow capacity, better ride and traction?
Cons: Higher price, -1 year warranty, this Kohler engine has dodgy reputation (a Kohler-powered lawn tractor is reliable but hard starting and likes to backfire at shutoff), heavier weight = more ground compaction and fuel use?, extra cost for rear anti-scalp wheels and cast iron bumper

Wanted a Z9-series to start with, and maybe with the 0% and great trade now is the time to do so. A little gun shy on price ($7k is absolute top of budget), esp. with the Kohler vs. the Kawi engine. Anybody have any helpful advice or experience?

/ Trading Z655 - Z915E or Z540R? #2  
I was looking at the z915 and 930. With 0% really look at the numbers to get into the 930 with kawi. Was an immediate difference in the way they started and ran when we tried them out. 915 would be fine but when your spending that much, I hate to say it but what's just a little extra to get exactly what you want?

Brett

/ Trading Z655 - Z915E or Z540R? #3  
BlessedMess said:
3 year old Z655 (54" deck, 144 hrs) has developed a left wheel motor failure, however there aren't any parts in Deere inventory for warranty repair.

So are you saying that the unit is under warranty but JD refuses to honor it?

Richard

/ Trading Z655 - Z915E or Z540R?
No, am sure they'll fix it... but when? Half of decision is impatience, half is seize opportunity to upgrade while resale/trade is high.