Trading Tractors

/ Trading Tractors #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Just wondering;
Did you trade in your machine because you needed something different, or because you were bored with what you had?

I am thinking that in my case it's both. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Trading Tractors #2  
After 5 years of use we needed to add a front end loader, backhoe, and pallet forks to our original tractor purchase and since I needed the ability to lift heavy pallets to off-load semi trucks we also needed to add some HP because our original tractor was but 25 HP strong. We ended up with a package that does it all for us and more. It was definitely a need for us.

BTW: We sold our original tractor outright. I think it enables you to cut a better deal with your dealer if you don't have a trade in IMHO.

/ Trading Tractors #3  
GreenRules; No, I wasn't bored with it at all. I was just a little leery of the fact that when doing dirtwork I'd grind gears every so often. I'd planned on keeping the TC35 for many years, but grinding up gears just didn't seem to add to the life of the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If not having to change directions as much as you do when pushing dirt/gravel, etc., I'd still have it. Ofcourse you get a few neat features on a TC35DA that you don't on a regular TC. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not promoting hydro over gear, each has it's own factors to deal with, just feel better with the hydro. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trading Tractors #4  
I felt I needed something different. The B7500 I had was a bit undersized for taking care of my field and plowing and a bit oversized for mowing certain areas of my yard, plus it would bog the engine quite a bit. I was running it at full throttle for anything that required use of the PTO (with the exception of my PHD.
The extra hp of my G2160 doesn't let the engine bog down at all when mowing and I get done a lot quicker without rutting the yard up as much. The bigger brush hog and more hp of my 3130 make upkeeping my back field a lot easier on the tractor and quicker, also. I hate to say it, but I'm almost looking forward to plowing snow with it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm trading in the 6 ft rear blade for a 7 ft today and then will see about putting guage wheels on it.

Of course, I won't tell you that I don't enjoy both of my new machines more than my old one either... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Trading Tractors #5  
I wouldn't say I was bored with the 1520 I had. It certainly was a good little tractor, and very dependable. There were several factors influencing my decision to trade up:

1. I was not satisfied with the forks I had that hooked on the bucket -- impossible to see the tips when trying to level them and slip them into a pallet, and they tended to unhook from the bucket if I wasn't careful when I dumped the load;

2. I wanted to be able to switch quickly between a regular bucket, pallet forks or a grapple bucket (or 4-in-1). Consequently, I wanted a quick attach on the loader;

3. I wanted Top-and-Tilt on the 3-pt, and it didn't seem wise to spend the money to add it to the 1520 if I was going to trade in the near future;

4. I wanted R-4 tires, instead of the turfs that came on the used 1520 -- although, I will have to admit that I never really had any traction problems with the Titan Turfs.

5. I did want/need a little extra power for the FEL and Bushhog -- the 1520 was only 23 Hp, the TC is 33 Hp -- and I really like the improvement in visibility up front for FEL and pallet fork work.

6. Last, but not least, I currently have a contract which pays well for 3 days a week work and provides a little extra money for toys/tools. In about a year, I hope to quit the contracting business and "retire" fully, which means I won't have the income to be making payments on a tractor. By trading now, I can get the TC33DA paid off before my current contract expires /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

In summary, when I added up all the "upgrades" I wanted for my uses of the tractor, it seemed to make more sense to trade than to add upgrades to the 1520. Of course, there was no feasible way to increase the Hp or lifting capacity of the FEL, anyway, and the other upgrades would not have increased the resale or trade-in value of the tractor as much as they would cost.

I can say, I am happy with my decision to trade up, and expect the TC to be the last tractor I ever buy (but I have learned to never say never again /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).