Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,771  
However, what you call fir is a lot different from the fast growing, short lived, soft wooded (balsam) fir which we know.
Our "Douglas Fir" is not a true fir and one was the tallest reliably measured tree in history at 393 feet.
==
Douglas-fir may well have been the tallest tree species on the planet. To put things in perspective: the tallest reliably measured Douglas-fir was 393 ft tall; the tallest known tree in the world today is a 381 ft coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) in California that Taylor co-discovered.
==

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,772  
Our "Douglas Fir" is not a true fir and one was the tallest reliably measured tree in history at 393 feet.
==
Douglas-fir may well have been the tallest tree species on the planet. To put things in perspective: the tallest reliably measured Douglas-fir was 393 ft tall; the tallest known tree in the world today is a 381 ft coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) in California that Taylor co-discovered.
==

Where I am with our poor highland soil the trees do not get very tall. I'm not sure if I have a tree 100' tall, but if I do it will be a White Pine. I love visiting your Doug Fir forests. To me they are an incredible thing to behold.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,773  
I cleaned up a lot of down trees. Most of the wood is too far gone to burn in the fireplace.. Will be good enough for the campers this spring.
20231221_152507 (1).jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,776  
A couple weeks ago I was looking for something to do in the shop and I made this out of a short piece of cutting edge from a snow groomer that I had. I had the idea of being able to place some log beams across a small brook for a bridge I want to build next summer.

View attachment 838052

View attachment 838054

Someone asked me if it would work for blocking up firewood. So I tried it today. Just an experiment. I used a 30' long beech 9" at the butt with a 6" top. No problem lifting it with a 2000 lb FEL but it is a lot of cantilevered weight. A little bouncy driving forward.

View attachment 838055

I have a set of grab hooks welded to the bottom of the grapple tines. I made a "V" hitch. The choker is 5' up from the butt.

View attachment 838056

I thought the tree might swing side to side but with that "V" the tree is very stable. I had to push pretty hard on it to make it move to the side and it came back to center w/o oscillating.

The grapple sat on the ground while I plowed yesterday after 1.5" of rain followed by 5" of snow and a quick freeze. It grew a pair of ice slippers that won't come off w/o an axe. :)

No problem at all cutting my 18" blocks. I put one under the butt for it to settle on when I went by the balance point.

View attachment 838057

Had to make 3 more cuts after I unhooked the choker and backed away.

View attachment 838058

So it works fine. Cut 20 18" blocks.

gg
That’s a slick setup there Gordon. I like how you made the bracket to fit the receiver hitch, easily removable. Nice work.

I regularly use the 3 point grapple in a similar way. I wedge the butt end under the base cross bar and raise the 3 point hitch to hold the log horizontal while I make 23” cuts. It makes quick work but most importantly helps my back.
IMG_2475.jpeg

Then I spin the tractor around and push it up into a pile before getting the next log. This saves me from tripping over the bucked up rounds for the next time.

IMG_2478.jpeg

I’m more limited by my 3 pt hitch lift capacity so I can’t lift larger/longer logs full length.

IMG_2492.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,777  
Here are a few photos I took before all the recent rains that melted all of our snow.
Nothing ruins the excitement of getting out in the woods to skid logs quite like 3-4” of rain.

IMG_8794.jpeg

IMG_8846.jpeg

Sometimes I buck the logs straight from the FEL grapple. Obviously these are really small trees.

IMG_8898.jpeg

This is my current workflow, keep the trees whole until it’s time to buck them to 23” lengths, then onto the Split-Fire for a quick split, and directly into the dump trailer.
IMG_8853.jpeg

I’d love to claim that I was splitting next year’s wood (or even beyond) but reality is I’m not 😂

IMG_8813.jpeg
IMG_8899.jpeg

The boiler is smoking heavily because I had just opened the bypass to reload. I load once in the morning and once in the evening on really cold days. Anything mild is typically once a day.
Usually there is no visible smoke coming out the stack.

The floors have been warm and the thermostat hasn’t been below 75 since I fired it up in October. We like it warmer than most 😁

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,778  
I took my camera with me yesterday. Still cutting fir stud wood. I have a dry place about 100 feet in from the landing.

P1020666.JPG

Saw this Red Hawk Tailed too. Focus is off, sorry

P1020657.JPG

I made a video cutting one tree. It's not a big tree. I put this description with the video so that people would know the thinking that goes into using this technique and the possible dangers that go with it if they are not familiar.

As usual I'm in no hurry. :)

Salvaging a dead but solid fir for stud wood. I would have liked to put it where the big boulders are but was afraid of breakage. I could have laid it in the road but then would have a mess to clean up. Those hard sharp branches can be hard on tires. So I decided to lay it against the pine behind it. It was at a rather steep angle so I needed plenty of wedge under it to keep from pinching the saw when I cut it off. And I needed to make sure it was completely separated from the stump and the choker as low as possible to minimize the risk of pulling the top over over towards me which can happen easily if the butt gets stuck on the stump or the butt digs into the ground or gets caught on a root. Using a snatch blocks helps keep me out of the danger zone.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,779  
When I bought this, I really planned on doing dirt work with it. 21 hours later, I have only dug one small hole. About 30 minutes in the dirt and over 20 hours playing with wood. I may have a problem.:confused::oops:
20231222_135200.jpg
20231222_140400.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,780  
When I bought this, I really planned on doing dirt work with it. 21 hours later, I have only dug one small hole. About 30 minutes in the dirt and over 20 hours playing with wood. I may have a problem.:confused::oops:View attachment 839903View attachment 839904
Backhoes are pretty handy. You can correct me if I'm wrong but I have to say I would not be enticed with traveling any great distance however with this rather narrow track width.
Very nice set up none the less.