Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,721  
I cleared a 30' wide by 500' long swath up through an aspen grove for power to our property. Within a month I got a letter in the mail from a "save the aspens" group wanting to meet with me to explore ways to enhance my grove.
What's next on the list? Save the Honeysuckle? or the Kudzu? Maybe the Autumn Olive?:confused::confused:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,722  
What's next on the list? Save the Honeysuckle? or the Kudzu? Maybe the Autumn Olive?:confused::confused:
Thing is Autumn Olive berries make a pretty good jelly... just a lot of work.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,723  
Thing is Autumn Olive berries make a pretty good jelly... just a lot of work.
Seriously?? It would take a lot of berries to make a pint of jelly. I know the wildlife seem to eat the berries this time of year. The nature center I work at planted some 30 years ago as it was promoted as good for wildlife. Now it has completely taken over. I fight it 5 days a week. I am losing the battle. here is a pic of a large autumn olive that was covering most of our small Turtle Island.
20231115_113253.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,724  
Looks like a few branches have been cut off of it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,725  
Seriously?? It would take a lot of berries to make a pint of jelly. I know the wildlife seem to eat the berries this time of year. The nature center I work at planted some 30 years ago as it was promoted as good for wildlife. Now it has completely taken over. I fight it 5 days a week. I am losing the battle. here is a pic of a large autumn olive that was covering most of our small Turtle Island.View attachment 838876
After my father died I took a ride through the field and was dismayed at the amount of autumn olive there was. I spent two days cutting and stump treating, hauling the brush off into the woods. That was 5 years ago. I knocked it back but can't say that I controlled it.

When my mother is done with the property it likely will be sold to a developer anyways so I'm not going to worry about it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,726  
It's definitely invasive and I destruct my share every year. My cattle will eat it, but it's way down on their list. We have made jelly and it is good but tedious. We also make wild black cherry jelly, just as bad work wise but it has an awesome flavor. I do have a man basket for the tractor and that makes picking a little less painful.
For either you need most of a bushel basket worth of little tiny fruits, it is worth it? We do it because we can.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,727  
It's definitely invasive and I destruct my share every year. My cattle will eat it, but it's way down on their list. We have made jelly and it is good but tedious. We also make wild black cherry jelly, just as bad work wise but it has an awesome flavor. I do have a man basket for the tractor and that makes picking a little less painful.
For either you need most of a bushel basket worth of little tiny fruits, it is worth it? We do it because we can.
And I'd bet there's no preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. 👍

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,728  
And I'd bet there's no preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. 👍
I think you get the drift just fine. We might even make some maple syrup or sugar this year if the weather gets right.... too warm so far ....

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,729  
After my father died I took a ride through the field and was dismayed at the amount of autumn olive there was. I spent two days cutting and stump treating, hauling the brush off into the woods. That was 5 years ago. I knocked it back but can't say that I controlled it.

When my mother is done with the property it likely will be sold to a developer anyways so I'm not going to worry about it.
I remember my first battle. I really was proud of myself, until a few months later when I was back in the same area. The small stumps had sprouted and were several feet tall!!! It was at that moment I realized Roundup was essential in my battle. I now treat every AO with it. Unless I dig it out with the baby~X. Another pic from the Battle for Turtle Island
20231115_113614.jpg
20231115_174319.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,730  
Looks like a few branches have been cut off of it.
I started cutting and burning and it was so dense I slowly moved the fire under the beast to aid in the fight. There was also big Honeysuckle and some type of vine I could not identify.
20231115_124040.jpg