Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,521  
The end of the cable on my Farmi JL290 winch was getting pretty ratty. So I cut off about 5' and redid the hook using a Flemish eye. A Flemish eye will not slip and is pretty easy to do after a little practice - a good use for the cut off piece of cable.

Hold the cable, 3/8" in this case, in a vise. It's made with a core surrounded by 6 bundles made from fine wire strands. Carefully pry up and unwrap 3 adjacent bundles like so.

P1020566.JPG

Put the hook in the vise. Stick the 3 bundle group in the hole from the left and the 3 bundle plus core group in from the right over, ie on top of, the 3 bundle group. Bend the 2 ends back towards the cable and start wrapping them together at the center of the formed loop so they fall into the spaces they came from.

P1020567.JPG

Finish the wraps.

P1020568.JPG

I put a few wraps of black tape to help hold the fine strands in place while clamping and then add and tighten a clamp.

P1020570.JPG

Added a second clamp to make a better/stronger seat for the sliders. Ready to pull some wood out. Still way to wet most places here though.

P1020572.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,522  
The end of the cable on my Farmi JL290 winch was getting pretty ratty. So I cut off about 5' and redid the hook using a Flemish eye. A Flemish eye will not slip and is pretty easy to do after a little practice - a good use for the cut off piece of cable.

Hold the cable, 3/8" in this case, in a vise. It's made with a core surrounded by 6 bundles made from fine wire strands. Carefully pry up and unwrap 3 adjacent bundles like so.

View attachment 828900

Put the hook in the vise. Stick the 3 bundle group in the hole from the left and the 3 bundle plus core group in from the right over, ie on top of, the 3 bundle group. Bend the 2 ends back towards the cable and start wrapping them together at the center of the formed loop so they fall into the spaces they came from.

View attachment 828902

Finish the wraps.

View attachment 828903

I put a few wraps of black tape to help hold the fine strands in place while clamping and then add and tighten a clamp.

View attachment 828904

Added a second clamp to make a better/stronger seat for the sliders. Ready to pull some wood out. Still way to wet most places here though.

View attachment 828905

gg
Nice! I have always wondered how they did those nice, neat loops. 👍

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,523  
Nicely done. (y)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,524  

View attachment 828900

View attachment 828902

Finish the wraps.

View attachment 828903

View attachment 828904

View attachment 828905

gg
Well done. Never heard of it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,525  
Time to use up some of the lumber I milled out a few days ago,

Resized-20231026-133516-S.jpg

I said I was going to use it for building half cord "firewood boxes", so I get started by putting three PT 48" 4x4's on my trailer and then I use "whatever I have" to make the floor. In this case, it's some really low-grade slabs I had from a previous log,

Resized-20231026-133500-S.jpg

and then start building sides for the box and I put a strap across the back to complete the job,

Resized-20231026-135232-S.jpg

With that done, the only thing left to do is take it to the splitting yard to be used,

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,526  
Pretty simple and a good way use some of your junk lumber.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,527  
I have a few old garbage cans that I throw scrap pieces of wood in that I to use to start fires in the wood stove. This summer I noticed that some wasps built a nest in one of them. I am allergic to stings so I had to be careful around it, but with the weather getting colder I was able to take a peek. I did see one wasp stumble out of it, so I'll wait a little longer yet to pull the wood out and see how big the nest is.
wasp nest.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,529  
I realized this weekend that I need to get my splitter farther off the ground. I only used it for a couple of hours in Friday, but my back has been out all weekend.

I didn't have this problem 40 years ago!!!View attachment 828141
Take a look at the LogOx hauler, Helps out a lot I was surprised

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,530  
Take a look at the LogOx hauler, Helps out a lot I was surprised
It's the splitter itself which needs to be higher off the ground. I load from my grapple or trailer, but my back can't handle constantly bending over to split.