Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,511  
I measure mine with my chainsaw blade, its quick and easy.
I have different length bars so I simply span my free hand twice after each cut and eye ball the spot after the second finger tip. Fingertip to thump tip is about 9", so twice is about 18".

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,512  
I measure mine with my chainsaw blade, its quick and easy.
Using the chainsaw bar is too much bending over/twisting and extending my arms out with the saw for me. If I do too much of that reaching, it aggravates an old college wrestling injury in my neck and upper back, and I end up needng a trip to the chiropractor the next day. (Stacking firewood higher than about 4 feet or so does the same thing. It's not the weight - the split pieces are light - it's the repetitive motion.) If I have no better method of gauging the length, I'll use the bar once at the beginning of the log then eyeball it from there. I sometimes get thrown off when I switch to a significantly different diameter log, so I'll recheck. (I guess the larger or smaller log tends to make the cut lengths look shorter or longer to me?)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,514  
(Stacking firewood higher than about 4 feet or so does the same thing. It's not the weight - the split pieces are light - it's the repetitive motion.)
I stack up to 7 or 8 feet. It does have its drawbacks such as more tilting and I have to be careful when removing the top layers. I'd stack low like you if I had enough sq ft space.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,515  
I stack up to 7 or 8 feet. It does have its drawbacks such as more tilting and I have to be careful when removing the top layers. I'd stack low like you if I had enough sq ft space.
I still stack high. I just suffer for it. Not enough space under my lean-to to stack low. Anything that is not stacked under there stops at about 4 ft.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,516  
Well, I flew into Charlotte NC, and some generous person in the airport gave me, at no charge, the whu-hon flu! AND, it really kicked myazz for several weeks.

Although I feel pretty good now, I have no stamina and have only been doing little piddly jobs, but with sunny 75 out, I decided to run my BSM.. So, off I go get this "big ugly" and load it on the mills deck,

Resized-20230920-152821-S.jpg

I need construction lumber, so I milled 3-1/2" and 5-1/2" thick slabs, off the log,

Resized-20231024-151120-S.jpg

I then load them back on the deck, up on edge, and start taking off the lumber I need,

Resized-20231024-163400-S.jpg

I don't care about any "wayne" on the boards, as all of this lumber will be used to build firewood boxes, and it's not important at all if it's not hi-grade lumber,

Resized-20231024-163404-S.jpg

and here's what I got from that log,

Resized-20231024-170512-S.jpg

It took me a looooong time to get that lumber as I had to stop and rest over and over but at least I got it done!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,517  
Well, I flew into Charlotte NC, and some generous person in the airport gave me, at no charge, the whu-hon flu! AND, it really kicked myazz for several weeks.

Although I feel pretty good now, I have no stamina and have only been doing little piddly jobs, but with sunny 75 out, I decided to run my BSM.. So, off I go get this "big ugly" and load it on the mills deck,

I need construction lumber, so I milled 3-1/2" and 5-1/2" thick slabs, off the log,

I then load them back on the deck, up on edge, and start taking off the lumber I need,

I don't care about any "wayne" on the boards, as all of this lumber will be used to build firewood boxes, and it's not important at all if it's not hi-grade lumber,

It took me a looooong time to get that lumber as I had to stop and rest over and over but at least I got it done!

SR
Nice SR . . . take it easy . . . 😉.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,518  

SR
That looks like a piddly job for Sawyer Rob. OTOH it's a full day for us mere mortals... :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,519  
That looks like a piddly job for Sawyer Rob. OTOH it's a full day for us mere mortals... :D
If you had seen me running my mill, you would have seen me going about as fast as a turtle that day!

When I got to that second pict. I posted above, I wanted to quit, I had to force myself to finish the job! lol

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,520  
If you had seen me running my mill, you would have seen me going about as fast as a turtle that day!

When I got to that second pict. I posted above, I wanted to quit, I had to force myself to finish the job! lol

SR
Getting activity is important but just as important don't overdo it too soon

🌡️