Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,371  
Sorry John, was running out the door & saw the email, wanted to pass it along in case someone was interested. Wasn't fully paying attention!
It is a good deal, if someone is in the market for some chainsaw boots.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,372  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,373  
The above pictured log is the only thing I milled, BUT, in the last pict., of the pile of lumber, (19) 2x6's came from THAT log and in the pict. there's [21], and a bench top, on the bottom of the pile.

Plus, the two half cord boxes I started building, that lumber came from that log as I stated.

SR
I get it now relooking at your pics. You had more than one cant. Deceptive what can be milled out a stem w a band saw. Nice going.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,374  
My buddy came over this morning and we scrounged more firewood to winch out,

Resized-20230923-124840-S.jpg

then I'd pick them up with the pallet forks, grapple them,

Resized-20230923-125132-S.jpg

and hold them over my wagon to be cut to firewood lengths. What a HUGE back saver!

Resized-20230923-124130-S.jpg

We are now down to the stem on this tree, and this is the last cut that a 20" bar will go through it cutting from both sides,

Resized-20230923-130351-S.jpg

but I did get a piece of it winched out,

Resized-20230923-130854-S.jpg

But the wagons full, so that log will be for next times scrounge!

Resized-20230923-134759-S.jpg

SO, off we go to the splitting yard, but that's a job for another day!

SR

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,376  
Had a very large cedar go down last winter reaching all the way across the the saltwater inlet…

I got to thinking it would make a good walking bridge or just a place to enjoy the serenity of nature.

The root ball is nearly 10’ above ground.

I’m thinking chiseling out cut in steps at the root ball is going to abuse my 16” saw and go through lots of chain loops?

Is there another way?

Being Cedar I imagine it will be in place for a very long time?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,377  
Had a very large cedar go down last winter reaching all the way across the the saltwater inlet…

I got to thinking it would make a good walking bridge or just a place to enjoy the serenity of nature.

I’m thinking chiseling out cut in steps at the root ball is going to abuse my 16” saw and go through lots of chain loops?

Is there another way?

That sounds like a cool walking bridge. I have one across a creek I thought of doing the same, but the only ones that cross that creek in that direction are cows and they rather wallow though the creek itself. Seriously, western red cedar cuts fairly easy in my opinion. Up top would you cut it flat?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,378  

Is there another way?

Do you have a sawzall? I have read folks prefer to use one rather than their chainsaw for cutting root balls.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,379  
I do have a sawall but not with me…

Maybe a project for my next visit…?

Will try to take a picture and post…

Sure miss having a tractor in Olympia… lots of wood to gather and would help doing a little road work…

$600 for Kubota one day BX TLB rental from Home Depot delivered…. ouch, but may have to bite the bullet.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,380  
I do have a sawall but not with me…

Maybe a project for my next visit…?

Will try to take a picture and post…

Sure miss having a tractor in Olympia… lots of wood to gather and would help doing a little road work…

$600 for Kubota one day BX TLB rental from Home Depot delivered…. ouch, but may have to bite the bullet.
Damn . . .