Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,361  
I used up all of my 2x6's extending my tree house roof,

Resized-20230904-145034-S.jpg

SO, I loaded a log on my BSM,

Resized-20230816-125112-S.jpg

and started taking it apart,

Resized-20230919-132228-S.jpg

Instead of "edging" the first boards off each side of the log, I just started building firewood boxes with them,

Resized-20230919-143428-S.jpg

with that done, I split the "cant" and started taking 2x6's off them,

Resized-20230919-153055-S.jpg

and I got a nice pile of them, off that log too,

Resized-20230919-153623-S.jpg

that's it for today...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,362  
I used up all of my 2x6's extending my tree house roof,

Resized-20230904-145034-S.jpg

SO, I loaded a log on my BSM,

Resized-20230816-125112-S.jpg

and started taking it apart,

Resized-20230919-132228-S.jpg

Instead of "edging" the first boards off each side of the log, I just started building firewood boxes with them,

Resized-20230919-143428-S.jpg

with that done, I split the "cant" and started taking 2x6's off them,

Resized-20230919-153055-S.jpg

and I got a nice pile of them, off that log too,

Resized-20230919-153623-S.jpg

that's it for today...

SR
Surprised at the amount of lumber coming from what looked like not that wide a stem.
Was there another section?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,363  
Surprised at the amount of lumber coming from what looked like not that wide a stem.
Was there another section?
The above pictured log is the only thing I milled, BUT, in the last pict., of the pile of lumber, (19) 2x6's came from THAT log and in the pict. there's [21], and a bench top, on the bottom of the pile.

Plus, the two half cord boxes I started building, that lumber came from that log as I stated.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,364  
I worked some more on the tractor road extension that I started last week. I drove the tractor down to the end of what I had already roughed in and started widening the next section of wheeler/snowshoe trail for the tractor road. The first tree was broken off and quite rotten. Standing near vertical with the top lodged in and behind another tree. At first I hooked the choker very low so I wouldn't pull the top over on me if the butt got hung up in the ground. But it pulled easy and a 5' long piece broke off the butt. So I hooked the choker higher and it came down in several pieces.

P1020503.JPG

P1020505.JPG

Tractor and winch or a long chain is a good way to get them down. I would not have wanted to try it with a saw.

The next one was a good tree with 3 logs in it. I moved the tractor up the hill and laid it in the trail.

P1020508.JPG

Then I skidded the good tree in 2 logs plus the rotten log out of the way.

P1020511.JPG

It was a little muddy from all the rain including 1-1/2" Monday and Tuesday. But I'll have the chance to fix it up next time I'm down here.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,365  
I worked some more on the tractor road extension that I started last week. I drove the tractor down to the end of what I had already roughed in and started widening the next section of wheeler/snowshoe trail for the tractor road. The first tree was broken off and quite rotten. Standing near vertical with the top lodged in and behind another tree. At first I hooked the choker very low so I wouldn't pull the top over on me if the butt got hung up in the ground. But it pulled easy and a 5' long piece broke off the butt. So I hooked the choker higher and it came down in several pieces.

View attachment 822386

View attachment 822387

Tractor and winch or a long chain is a good way to get them down. I would not have wanted to try it with a saw.

The next one was a good tree with 3 logs in it. I moved the tractor up the hill and laid it in the trail.

View attachment 822388

Then I skidded the good tree in 2 logs plus the rotten log out of the way.

View attachment 822389

It was a little muddy from all the rain including 1-1/2" Monday and Tuesday. But I'll have the chance to fix it up next time I'm down here.

gg
What do you do with the stump that's in the new road?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,366  
What do you do with the stump that's in the new road?

I have a small dozer to cut side hills and push out stumps and rocks if they aren't too big. Most stumps here are shallow rooted with ledge not to far down.

BigFirRdExt3 .JPG

BigFirRdExt6.JPG

Above pictures from this thread

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,368  
I've found the Haix XR200 boots to run exactly true to size. I wear a size 9 medium width, and the 9M XR200 boots fit me perfectly. A shoe store about 30 minutes up the road from me supposedly carries Haix chainsaw boots, but they've never had them in stock when I've been there. I was fortunate to find a Haix boot booth at a local Logging Equipment expo years ago. So I could try them on for size. They did not have medium widths with them, but the 9W was close enough that I knew the 9M would work out for me, so I ordered it.

I've been told the Haix Protector Ultra and Protector Prime run large and to order a half size smaller than normal.

BTW: with something like a hiking boot, there is more to getting a good fit than just matching the outline of your foot.
Haix has a $100 off sale on certain XR200 Air boots, ends tomorrow though, enter "AIRPOWER100" at checkout.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,369  
Haix has a $100 off sale on certain XR200 Air boots, ends tomorrow though, enter "AIRPOWER100" at checkout.
That sale is what started this Haix boot tangent to this thread.
See post #22313 back on Sept 7. I did not realize it was still going on.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,370  
That sale is what started this Haix boot tangent to this thread.
See post #22313 back on Sept 7. I did not realize it was still going on.
Sorry John, was running out the door & saw the email, wanted to pass it along in case someone was interested. Wasn't fully paying attention!