Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,962  
That must go nicely with the pool!

We were on the beach at Arcadia National Park on Mt Desert Island one time years ago when the kids were little. A tour bus from South Carolina pulled in. As the people walked towards the shore so they could experience a Maine beach there were all kinds of comments heard to the affect "I thought they said this was a sandy beach. This is nothing but dirt" Or "This isn't a beach it's only 100 feet wide the rest is all rock and ledge" We thought that was kind of funny - the kids were in heaven.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,963  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,964  
Those great Husqvarna combination fuel cans we were talking about a nuber of pages back seem to have completely disappeared from Amazon - at least when searching from the US. I had been checking from time to time, hoping for a price drop (Most of them were coming from Europe or Japan). I can no longer find them on Amazon at any price.

On eBay, the cheapest I can find is now about $130.00 (with one listed at $221, marked down from $233.) Things are moving in the wrong direction for me to ever own one of these.

I just saw one in the truck of a Pro logger / Game of Logging instructor here in Vermont. I asked where he found it, but he's had it so long, he no longer remembers.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,965  
Late last year I posted the 1st picture below of one half of a big tree that came down in a windstorm. Got that downed monster cleaned up and burned. The other half to the right of the downed portion leaned over the power lines that came into the property. We had the utility company come in and take down what they would of that part of the tree, leaving a "big stump" under the power lines. We thought, nice and tall to get leverage on the stump, maybe push it over? Nope, not even with a Cat 928G (25,000 lb loader). So dig it out. Done, ready to cut up for the burn pile. The hole was big enough for a small swimming pool.
Stump3.jpg
Stump1.jpg

stump4.jpg
stump2.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,966  
Late last year I posted the 1st picture below of one half of a big tree that came down in a windstorm. Got that downed monster cleaned up and burned. The other half to the right of the downed portion leaned over the power lines that came into the property. We had the utility company come in and take down what they would of that part of the tree, leaving a "big stump" under the power lines. We thought, nice and tall to get leverage on the stump, maybe push it over? Nope, not even with a Cat 928G (25,000 lb loader). So dig it out. Done, ready to cut up for the burn pile. The hole was big enough for a small swimming pool.
View attachment 798248 View attachment 798249

View attachment 798251 View attachment 798252
Yep geoduck nice one . . . I've run into the same a few times myself . . . 👍

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,967  
@goeduck that's insane! We don't have trees that big around here, but I suppose this used to be farm land, so they've not been growing nearly as long.

Do you have any guess at how old that tree is?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,969  
@goeduck that's insane! We don't have trees that big around here, but I suppose this used to be farm land, so they've not been growing nearly as long.

Do you have any guess at how old that tree is?
Well, it would have been planted around 1800 near what was then a family homesite. It is not a native tree (Lombardy Poplar, windbreak tree). Trees grow fast out here with big growth rings if they are out in the open like that one was. There is only one of them remaining from the homesite. Not that I like cleaning them up, but it will be good riddance when the last one is gone.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,970  
View attachment 798248 View attachment 798249

View attachment 798251 View attachment 798252
Oh... swimming pools are good!