Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,142  
Ask the local shovel operator to split them with the grapples or heel rack.
Son can do it faster than the transport and nowadays he uses more wood than this old man, a good idea though if we had a lot, the closest mill is about 7 miles away.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,143  
I also tend towards smaller size wood these days though I hate to waste wood. While logging there is always collateral damage and it’s usually small stuff so it all gets burned

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,144  
I forgot my chaps today, so wrestled some big chunks of ash into the truck. For a while afterwards my back hated me for it… next time I will come home empty
IF you don't have a tractor handy to lift big rounds to save your back, there's still no reason to leave that big wood in the woods. Just use your chainsaw to rip them smaller,

IMG-1995-S.jpg

There's no waste, because I pick up the chips, leave them until they are dry and use to start fires in my woodstove, they work great!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,145  
Only had an hour or so to spare, but it was so nice here on Sunday I could see wasting it (& getting nothing done...)

Grabbed a pallet of smaller round with the tractor & moved them to the splitter area...

2022-10-30 15.11.53.jpg

Ran them through & stacked as I went... Not a whole lot done but better than wasting the little time I had... besides it was beautiful out...

2022-10-30 16.33.54.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,146  
IF you don't have a tractor handy to lift big rounds to save your back, there's still no reason to leave that big wood in the woods. Just use your chainsaw to rip them smaller,

IMG-1995-S.jpg

There's no waste, because I pick up the chips, leave them until they are dry and use to start fires in my woodstove, they work great!

SR
I understand that, but I have gotten into the habit of not running the saw without chaps. Otherwise I would have cut them stove length… if I can’t lift it onto the splitter I leave it in the woods.image.jpg

I just happen to be having lunch next to a pile of next year’s wood… if I was ambitous I would be going home with a load today.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,147  

IMG-1995-S.jpg

SR

Noodling doesn’t take that long. I’m surprised more people don’t do it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,148  
Noodling doesn’t take that long. I’m surprised more people don’t do it.
Because it's a lot easier to deal with what I can lift in the first place. Then again, not everybody has their pick of what to take, and what to leave to return to the earth. It's rather sickening really, yet there's no way to economically capture the log ends we leave behind. Your picture looks like some type of softwood? I won't even mess with white birch or soft maple, and am starting to pass on yellow birch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,149  
Got a nice load of Red Oak with a little Ash thrown in for good measure
I couldn't do it without the Tractor, winch, grapple and dump bed

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_112048884.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112048884.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20221101_112106549.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112106549.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20221101_112057084.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112057084.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 105
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,150  
Got a nice load of Red Oak with a little Ash thrown in for good measure
I couldn't do it without the Tractor, winch, grapple and dump bed
That's a rugged looking butt plate on your winch. Did you add that, or perhaps even build the entire unit?