Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,021  
Where I last worked, all the table saws were the SawStop saws, I was told the insurance company required them. The cartridge that stops the blade is a one time use only and is trashed to stop the blade. I believe it costs about $125 to replace, as others have said, mighty cheap insurance to save a finger/hand.
I also agree with that. Just as with chainsaw chaps however, I would prefer to depend on other precautions first.
OTOH I once knew a woman who cut her leg badly with a circular saw... remember the old Black and Decker tools with the pigtail power cords because they were allegedly safer? She didn't want to take time to get the extension cord. :eek:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,023  
The saws you're thinking of are "Sawstop". Aside from the safety aspect they are also one of the best saws on the market.

It does not ruin the saw, but you do have to purchase a new "cartridge" for it. Small price to pay for a saved finger.
Neighbor, a big wood worker, has a Sawstop. He has all of his fingers and thumbs.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,024  
Yep, next time 8, next time 7, next time 6...... the law of diminishing fingers.
He's lucky I guess. While I've heard of people with 10 fingers, most of us only start life with 8.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,026  
If only 8 would not be inclusive. Just because one digit is lacking an intermediate phalange is no reason to not consider it a finger. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
01223373-D6F8-49E4-8F1A-C0931B5C829E.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,027  
Neighbor, a big wood worker, has a Sawstop. He has all of his fingers and thumbs.
And I have a nice Powermatic table saw that I've had 25 years or so, and I still have all my fingers, toes and thumbs.. ;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,029  
Yeah, but my carpal has a tunnel!!
And to think after all these years I never noticed that my thumbs have one less joint than my fingers. :oops:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,030  
I have two Delta Unisaws and a Huss in my shop, and I have all of my fingers/thumbs too...

What REALLY pizzed me off about Sawstop is, they lobbied the goverment to mandate ALL tablesaws use THEIR blade stop device and pay them for using it, as they patented it!

NO sawstop for me...

SR