Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,431  
My neighbor had some ash trees that needed taken down. Me and my Dad worked on them in the evenings. When I get to working I forget to take pictures. My Dad cut the trees down then cut the brush off of then. Then I took the L4240 with grapple and moved the trees out of the way and pushed the brush out of the field. Then we worked the trees up. I think there were 5 but I forgot to take pics of them all. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160531_191848_zpsohmzrfgb.jpg.html Starting to get a load. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160531_192325_zpsiiw6x9ua.jpg.html This was everything from the field. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160531_200202_zpszximglja.jpg.html http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160531_200213_zpszu2qa2r3.jpg.html This stuff here was all cut down in random lengths by the tree company clearing the power line ROW. It was all laying up on the bank and I threw most of it down, then cut it up.There were a couple logs that we pulled down the BX. It was a good bit of work but it made a nice pile. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160531_204453_zps9v9bwh00.jpg.html Here is the first load. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160601_192327_zpsh8mvfr99.jpg.html and the remainder http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160601_201956_zpseyoeue8o.jpg.html Here are all 3 loads dumped. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/NHRAx1320/media/tractor/20160601_203919_zpsxh5n9uug.jpg.html I am hoping there are 3 cords there but I think I might little less.
man that was a good day. Spent many of days doing thing like that my father. Sometimes in my younger day I didn't always go to work willingly but I went anyways. Most days were great days with a sense of accomplishment and a day well spent with my dad. He is gone now but I remember him fondly so I guess these memories are more important then the wood we gathered. It sounds like you were blessed to have such a great day. Enjoy!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,432  
man that was a good day. Spent many of days doing thing like that my father. Sometimes in my younger day I didn't always go to work willingly but I went anyways. Most days were great days with a sense of accomplishment and a day well spent with my dad. He is gone now but I remember him fondly so I guess these memories are more important then the wood we gathered. It sounds like you were blessed to have such a great day. Enjoy!

sometimes i wish there was a "like" button. well said

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,435  
Hi,

Nice loads and work!

I see that you use both a log hook and a pickeroon [or hookeroon], how well do you like the log hook?

We love our pickeroon, but haven't had as much luck with using any of the available hooks we have tried.

If you like yours, would you mind sharing who makes it?

Thanks,
Thomas

and o those reading: Now you know that my names are neither Phys nor Assist....

Thanks, Thomas. The log hook is my Dads. It is made by roughneck tools. Roughneck High Carbon Steel Log Hook | Log Skidding Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment I think it works as good as any other log hooks would. I think I prefer a short pickaroon. I have one that has an 18'' handle. I like how the pickaroon can be swung like a hatchet instead of how you have to swing the log hook. The other thing is actually a sappie, which is basically what they call a pickaroon in Europe.

Forester Pick-A-Roon | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools

Ochsenkopf OX 173 Hand Sappie Wood | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools

If you want I can get a couple of picture of the log hook tomorrow.

Thanks, we spent 5 evenings working on it. We had a good time working on it. We work together everyday and do pretty much everything together. It sounds like you have some great memories of working with your Father.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,436  
Thanks, Thomas. The log hook is my Dads. It is made by roughneck tools. Roughneck High Carbon Steel Log Hook | Log Skidding Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment I think it works as good as any other log hooks would. I think I prefer a short pickaroon. I have one that has an 18'' handle. I like how the pickaroon can be swung like a hatchet instead of how you have to swing the log hook. The other thing is actually a sappie, which is basically what they call a pickaroon in Europe.

Forester Pick-A-Roon | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools

Ochsenkopf OX 173 Hand Sappie Wood | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools

If you want I can get a couple of picture of the log hook tomorrow...

Hi Bullitt,

Thanks for the information, and especially the links to Sheldon Hill FS.

If you think the pickeroon or sappie is better [like I really do], I don't need to know more about the hook.

I especially like the shorter hatchet version you linked, even more so since the price is better [for the complete tool], than I paid just for the pickeroon head [which I mounted on a standard length axe handle, which is handy for picking up logs up off the ground.

Too bad you don't get any bonuses for referrals, 'cause I'm going there now to order one.

Thanks again,
Thomas

PS: Can I ask is your 94Bullitt screen name a Mustang reference?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,437  
Bullitt, what cha burnin all that wood in? OWB, wood furnace, "gasser",etc?
You have some nice stacks, and look pretty serious about wood. And while I'm being nosey, your avatar pic, did it all of a sudden rapidly freeze up while you were washing the tractor? :laughing:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,438  
Hi Bullitt,

Thanks for the information, and especially the links to Sheldon Hill FS.

If you think the pickeroon or sappie is better [like I really do], I don't need to know more about the hook.

I especially like the shorter hatchet version you linked, even more so since the price is better [for the complete tool], than I paid just for the pickeroon head [which I mounted on a standard length axe handle, which is handy for picking up logs up off the ground.

Too bad you don't get any bonuses for referrals, 'cause I'm going there now to order one.

Thanks again,
Thomas

PS: Can I ask is your 94Bullitt screen name a Mustang reference?

Look around their website, they may have some other stuff you want. You get free shipping if your order is over $99.

I looked around a lot and asked options on another forum about pickaroons. I really like the design of the forester pickeroon. I was tempted to order a long handle one too instead of the Ochsenkopf I ordered but I was worried that the composite handle may not hold up well on a long handle version. I hope you like your forester pickaroon when you get it.

Yes, my username is in reference to my 1994 Mustang.

Bullitt, what cha burnin all that wood in? OWB, wood furnace, "gasser",etc?
You have some nice stacks, and look pretty serious about wood. And while I'm being nosey, your avatar pic, did it all of a sudden rapidly freeze up while you were washing the tractor? :laughing:

I burn the wood in a wood stove, a Quadrafire 5700 steptop. Thanks about the stacks. I think I have 7 cords, maybe 8, all on pallets. This new stuff should give me about enough to have a 2 year supply. Then it will be time to start working on wood for 2018-2019:laughing: I like playing with chainsaws and I like the exercise I get from cutting wood.

I had the tractor parked outside and a really big bird flew over and bombed it:laughing:

Actually it is a a picture from when I was washing it. I have a foam cannon I use on a pressure washer I use for quick washes.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,439  
Nothing spectacular just moving a recently cut tree near the house to the wood pile but I never have my camera or phone out when I am around the big stuff.

20160603_095154_resized.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,440  
I processed up some firewood using a different method then usual. I seen some guys here use pallets so I made up 5 pallets which hold 20 percent of a cord each. Once 5 are filled I have a cord and my manual wood handling is done. I use my logging winch to winch the trees in close to the tractor where I process up the wood and put the peaces in the boxes. I can trailer the boxes out or use the forks on the loader. Using this method, the wood stays clean and there is less handling. I have a video of the operation on youtube.

YouTube