Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,431  
Ok, so I finally got a chance to get back into the woods and I have one more firewood rack to fill so it was "playday" for the last couple!
I decided I wanted to cut this tree, it was down along a small creek and a nice deer travel corridor if I made one of my little seats I can hunt from here this fall, will make a good pistol stand!

IMG_1842.JPG

And the tree is down, I misidentified the tree this winter with no leaves and thought it was another of my many sweetgums, but turns out its a Yellow poplar. I don't believe I've ever heated with poplar so I'll have to see how it does next winter.

IMG_1844.JPG

And my little deer stand seat, the tree had 2 additional trunks which will give me a little cover and a backrest.

IMG_1845.JPG

First bucket of cutoffs..

IMG_1847.JPG

Ended up with 70 feet of main trunk, debated slicing some into lumber, but just wanted to finish my firewood for the year.

IMG_1848.JPG

And back at my little splitting station ready to go.

IMG_1852.JPG

And now all my racks are full.

IMG_1857.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,432  
I had a lightweight 3pth splitter which my father had made. I used the pump for my Cadplan backhoe to run it. It was only single stage so not really strong, but still better than a splitting maul.

I enjoy splitting wood by hand but it's rather time consuming
Single stage pumps are just as strong, as long as you have enough HP to run one.

My splitter is single stage, and it takes a tractor with 30 PTO HP to MAX it out, and that's the HP the Deutz I use it on, has at the PTO.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,433  
You got some nice hardwood woods down there, Hunt. For some reason I thought you had all softwood. SYP I think. Full racks look good.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,434  
You got some nice hardwood woods down there, Hunt. For some reason I thought you had all softwood. SYP I think. Full racks look good.

gg
I have mostly SYP with a few hardwoods scattered in along the riparian corridors. I do have a lot of hardwoods down in my bottoms and around my ponds but its hard to get to and the ground there is pretty soft. Probably more than 95% pine.
Thanks on the racks, and glad to have them full. Only about 3 cords total but that will last me the heating season.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,435  
hunt4570 - very impressed with your work and the photos. that will be a good seat for coffee breaks also. well done, that was a lot of work.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,436  
hunt4570 - very impressed with your work and the photos. that will be a good seat for coffee breaks also. well done, that was a lot of work.
Thanks, it keeps me busy! One of my weird things is the tree chairs, I have several on this property, and have left them everywhere I have lived.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,437  
Speaking of forests, wife wants to move.
No longer wants to live in the woods. She’s Tired of driving an hour to get milk. Told her I’d learn to drink the coffee black if it helps. It didn’t.
She picked out a house closer to the shoreline.
I’m going from over a hundred acre wood land to a 2 acre ash filled property.
Haven’t quite processed this alteration except making my wife happy. Would die for her of course but the wood chuck in me is in a flumox.
What’s a beach bum do for recreation? (And don’t tell me to go in the water).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,438  
No longer wants to live in the woods. She’s Tired of driving an hour to get milk. Told her I’d learn to drink the coffee black if it helps. It didn’t.
Haven’t quite processed this alteration except making my wife happy. Would die for her of course but the wood chuck in me is in a flumox.

Hope it works out and you can adjust. I fear and can see a similar thing in our future.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,439  
Unless either of you have medical issues, that is going backwards in my book.

But I know it happens. There was a couple that owned my place and they lasted less than 9 months. The wife did not like being rural and remote. Closest gas station is 10 miles and "big" town of 4k is 25 miles away.

When I bought the place 12 years ago, the locals figured I would last less than two years. I will not be leaving until my health is so bad I cannot maintain the place.

It is my little slice of heaven!!