Tractors and bees

/ Tractors and bees #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I have about 50 acres of field I mow every year ,and most years I will run over at least 1 bees nest but have never been stung.I always leave my bucket on the fel and it is always painted black.I keep it high enough so it is above the hood of the tractor. When I run over a nest the bees will attack the bucket first as it is black.I don't know if bees are color blind or not but they just literally attack that black bucket.It may be due to the sun heating it up or for the color I don't know ,I just know it works.I am allergic to bee stings so I am as careful as I can be.I wear light colored clothing as I have been told they attack dark colors first if they are disturbed.As they are just bouncing off the bucket I shut off the tractor and needless to say run as fast as a 63 yr. old can run and go back in a half hour or so and they will be gone.Hope this may work for you also so you don't get stung. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractors and bees #2  
Just make sure you have a cell phone or walkie talkie and an anti-venom kit close by.

My wife insists I only brush cut when she's home...I acquiesce to her wishes in this case. The closest I came to rolling a tractor was while brush cutting.

Since you're allergic to bee venom, it makes sense to ensure someone is reasonably close...just in case.

And, those 63 year old legs aren't gonna get you too far if stung by more then one bee.

/ Tractors and bees
Yes Roy, advice well taken