Tractor tire chain parts supplier

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #1  

case310350

Bronze Member
I am going to make my own tractor chains. Will get chain from harbor freight, but when looking for other parts I can't find a good supplier, things like cross hooks and side chain fasteners.

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #2  
TireChains com and other places like that sell that stuff

gg

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #3  
It will be cheaper to just buy some, those parts are expensive little buggers!

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #4  

X2. You can't buy parts and beat the cost of the full assembly from some of these guys.

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #5  
It can be doable by modifying something you already have on hand, but from scratch I doubt it.
Like perhaps converting a set of truck chains.

I did modify mine and had to shop a lot for components and at that had to buy some from here and there as nobody had decent inventory.
Cross link hooks I did find as well as cross link stock.
Then I discovered that all cross link hooks are not the same so some cross are not same length.
Then U will find that the side chain stock is not a standard stock chain as the links are longer to accommodate the cross hooks.
Add all the chain gauges to further muddle things and you will be discouraged.
Then for ice chain cross stock you have studded as well as V style.
Then like many products you will have to buy minimum quantities in all components and probably end up over stocked.

If you have to rely on shipping weight will greatly affect the end cost with todays shipping rates.

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #6  
I also concur with this. I believe that the side chains also are of a better grade than what you will find at Harbor Freight. We have an entire barn wall covered with new cross links which my father accumulated over the years as well as a plethora of full chains of varying sizes; yet when my cousin wanted chains for his Kioti it was cheaper to go out and buy a set. It did help that I found him a set of Wallingford's for nearly half price. :thumbsup:

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #7  
i too have found it to be significantly more expensive to make chains from parts than to buy them. Sucks because I want to convert a set of 4 link to 2link spacing. In the past I致e made chains by buying a set that痴 larger than what I need and then cutting then down. Made a set of 3/8 chains for my skid steer by starting with a pair of tractor tire chains. It痴 not hard to do, but you must have a good chain plyers. The job would be impossible without them.

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #8  
The last time I had a set of two link spaced chains I combined two sets, pulled all the cross chains from one set and added them into another set.
Even at two link spacing they where no match for the Aquiline or European Style Studded chains.

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #9  
The last time I had a set of two link spaced chains I combined two sets, pulled all the cross chains from one set and added them into another set.
Even at two link spacing they where no match for the Aquiline or European Style Studded chains.

I did that exact same thing.
Was lucky in that I had a chain spreader tool found in a yard sale to make the job easier.
In my case my 2 link spacing is all with studded style cross links---one word AWESOME traction (and that even on clear blue ice on hills).

/ Tractor tire chain parts supplier #10  
I did that exact same thing.
Was lucky in that I had a chain spreader tool found in a yard sale to make the job easier.
In my case my 2 link spacing is all with studded style cross links---one word AWESOME traction (and that even on clear blue ice on hills).

I have had a chain tool for quite a few years, didn't get it a good price but it has been well worth it.
Much better then wedging links open with punches and chisels and hammering or using big pliers to close them back.
Oliver chains 2.JPG IH 574 chains.jpg

The Oliver has my 2 link spaced chains, one set are just street chains the others are the v bar reinforced.
The 574 has my first set of Europeans style studded.

The Oliver had loaded tires, and was quite heavy a bit over 8000#,
the IH 574 has no weights and is under 5000#.

Traction wise there was no comparison, my driveway is quite steep and when it gets snow packed and icey,
the Oliver had to use the bucket with down pressure on the cutting edge to stop, the brakes would just lock up the tires.
To drive up you had to be in 3rd gear to have enough tire speed to maintain forward motion, in 1st or 2nd she
would stop and dig to gravel go forward 3-4 inches dig and repeat.
The 574 with the studded chains would not only stop but could back up after stopping.

When the 574 had the v bar reinforced chains on conventional 4 link spacing she wouldn't stop well either,
and had to have tire speed to clime the driveway. those where the cross links I added to the
Olivers chains when I got the studded chains for the 574.

Since I got my first set of the European style studded chains we gotten 4 sets on the farm and I have gotten
two sets for the 8050.
Branson chains.jpg