Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe...

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Over two weeks ago I ordered (4) 50 pound bags grass seed, hoping to get it in a few days. It's been above freezing lowest at night, and we've had amazing amounts of rain. It's raining now. No such luck.
After a week I called main customer service number..."You'll have it tomorrow". I wait a few days & call store..."it shows it was mistakenly sent to Phoenix, AZ. (I'm in Virginia)...we should have it in a few days".
I called corporate 2 days ago..."You'll have it tomorrow". Finally I get a message store got it today. I go to pick it up, guy brings it out on cart leaving a trail of seed! Bags are messed up, holes, one almost empty. "The delivery guy dragged them across parking lot this morning...we'll just charge you for 3 bags".
Talk about a comedy of errors. I did weigh them at home and 4 bags are about 150 pounds...so they sort of made it right.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #2  
Similar story. We moved down from Alaska in '82. We, sort of, looked like a modern version of the Beverly Hillbillies. Big 3/4 ton pickup - max sized U-Haul trailer. Everything full to the brim.

We had a young Black Lab. Decided to have a friend keep him until we were firmly settled here on the property. About a weeks time.

So - we called the friend and the dog was put on Alaska Airlines. Anchorage - Seattle - Spokane. We were at the airport at the appointed time. NO dog. Where is my Black Lab???

Customer service representative - "dog was put on the wrong plane and is now in Hawaii." The dog spent two days languishing in Hawaii before he was on the plane to Spokane - again.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #3  
Over two weeks ago I ordered (4) 50 pound bags grass seed, hoping to get it in a few days. It's been above freezing lowest at night, and we've had amazing amounts of rain. It's raining now. No such luck.
After a week I called main customer service number..."You'll have it tomorrow". I wait a few days & call store..."it shows it was mistakenly sent to Phoenix, AZ. (I'm in Virginia)...we should have it in a few days".
I called corporate 2 days ago..."You'll have it tomorrow". Finally I get a message store got it today. I go to pick it up, guy brings it out on cart leaving a trail of seed! Bags are messed up, holes, one almost empty. "The delivery guy dragged them across parking lot this morning...we'll just charge you for 3 bags".
Talk about a comedy of errors. I did weigh them at home and 4 bags are about 150 pounds...so they sort of made it right.
I'd consider a different seed retailer in the future.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #4  
TSC promise over 3weeks ago they would have black sunflower seeds and wild bird seed,I even place order $$$'s nothing yet and now they are saying no idea when shipment will show up. :rolleyes:

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #5  
TSC promise over 3weeks ago they would have black sunflower seeds and wild bird seed,I even place order $$$'s nothing yet and now they are saying no idea when shipment will show up. :rolleyes:
My bird feeders come down once the snow is about half gone, or the end of March whichever comes first...too many bears, plus very little activity once the snow melts.
I thought it was a state law that bird feeders had to be down by the first of April.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #6  
I think that everyone is having shipping problems... and without a doubt they've gotten even worse since diesel spiked by 50%.
Having said that, the OPs experience is one reason I go there only as a last resort. There are several other places around which carry anything they do, at better prices.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #7  
I think that everyone is having shipping problems... and without a doubt they've gotten even worse since diesel spiked by 50%.
Having said that, the OPs experience is one reason I go there only as a last resort. There are several other places around which carry anything they do, at better prices.
EXACTLY 100% correct. Having said that we still call TSC 'Tough Shitte Charlies', where everything is either scratched, dented or broken and the 'sales associates' really don't care probably because TSC pays minimum wages.

I get my seed from Crop Services or Wilbur Ellis, never from TSC. I remember years ago I was gonna buy a zero Turn from TSC and when the Manager went to load it on my trailer, he ran the forks into the deck and bent it... and of course ignored it until I pointed it out to him and then he said to me, you can fix it and I said to him, take it off the trailer and give me a refund and I'll buy it elsewhere, which I did.

I consider TSC to be the last place to buy anything I need. Especially power equipment. They don't have a clue about assembly or anything else and like I said, the minimum wage 'associates' don't care anyway.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #8  
After a week I called main customer service number..
I might add, do you know what the germination rate is or how old the seed is? Could be a couple years old and the germ rate will be much less. When I buy seed (grass seed in bulk too), I know the germ rate as well as the harvest date, because it's on the tag on every sack I buy. Every year the seed sits, the germ rate drops.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe...
I might add, do you know what the germination rate is or how old the seed is? Could be a couple years old and the germ rate will be much less. When I buy seed (grass seed in bulk too), I know the germ rate as well as the harvest date, because it's on the tag on every sack I buy. Every year the seed sits, the germ rate drops.
That's true...which is why I save bags & receipts. I've had TSC seed not germinate, some wasn't old but manager said some is "stored and cooked in a hot trailer".
I certainly know I can buy better seed elsewhere but like last night saw some $165/50#. I can't justify that.
What I should do if this doesn't germinate (and thanks, made me think) a friend I know is a landscaper and sold me seed he buys, sells it to me at his cost.
I'll probably wait until very late summer/early fall which is when he plants.

/ Tractor Supply seed snafu, hard to believe... #10  
TSC employees earn an average of $12.96/hour, which is approximately 60% higher than the federal minimum wage.
PA min wage is $7.25
That being said, its the “Auto Zone” of farm supply stores and I dont set foot in the place unless absolutely necessary. Never saw so much useless junk in my life.
I used to like the old “Agway” stores.

Last edited: