Tractor Safety!

/ Tractor Safety! #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am going to be purchasing a B2710 in a few months and do not know that much about tractors, and tractor safety. Does anyone know where I can get some good safety lessons, books, etc. I have heard the name 4-H or FFA Tractor Program for new operators, but do not know where to get any information on these. Thanks in advance!!

/ Tractor Safety! #2  
Dave,
Once you receive your new Kubota /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif you will notice different section on safety in the operator's manual.

I notice at my dealer also New Holland there a tractor safety booklet free for the taken,and the next time I stop by for a coffee I'll take one and forward the infomation to you.

I would believe that your local dealer would also have something in this line.

Pre congratulation on your B2710. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Take care and try not to day dream of the B2710. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Tractor Safety! #3  
DSmith - I don't mean to sound smug at all, but I would suggest that you register and participate in this forum for the best safety advice in the world. Try a keyword search on "safe" and you'll get a book's worth right now, and it won't cost you a dime, not counting your Internet connect charges, of course.

And then, when you get your tractor (or now, even), post a message letting everyone know what types of jobs you're planning on doing and that you're new at this stuff and want specific safety tips, and you'll be deluged with all kinds of practical tips, I guarantee.

Not only that, but you'll do everyone else a favor by reminding us of the importance of safety.

Enjoy that new tractor!!!

Mark

/ Tractor Safety! #4  
Hi,

I have to reiterate what Mark said and use the resources on this board as a first step. I'm a new tractor owner myself (B2910) and for the past 2 months have been reading the volumes of information available. And the best part of it is that it is written by people that have "real world" experience with these machines. Many of the posters on this board go out of their way to help out us "newbies", and I will forever be grateful for all of their help.

If, however, you're like me and you like to have something in print, I found the book "Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe" by Gary J. Ober very helpful. It's really written for larger machines than the compact utility units, but many of the topics are applicable. Of course, I bought my machine with loader and backhoe, so it might be more useful for me than those that won't be doing a lot of digging. The chapter on center-of-gravity (COG) of the machine and how it changes as the loader and backhoe are in operation was extremely helpful.

I got my book from Equipment Training Resources, http://www.equiptrain.com. I think it was around $45 with shipping.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

~Rick

/ Tractor Safety! #5  
I'll second Rick's vote for "Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe". I don't have a tractor...yet /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, but I've got a copy of this book and found it to be excellent. The bulk of the text is probably overkill unless you have a hoe but the section on safety and the center-of-gravity would be useful to anyone operating a tractor.

Bill

/ Tractor Safety! #6  
Rick - I had meant to order this book and forgotten about it, but your message reminded me. I just got in in today (at the same time as my new front wheels!). I agree with you - it's a very good book. I think it's going to improve my productivity and safety.

Mark