Tractor rig length?

/ Tractor rig length? #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
Does anyone have a measurement on how long a bx2360 with FEL and brush hog happens to be?

A little background - I am one of those folks that bought a BX with just a mmm. At the time I was using a 77"x10' P&T trailer with a two foot dovetail. For that particular setup the trailer was quite adequate in terms size/weight and was small enough that I could use it easily for hauling yard debris.

However, I have since added a FEL and a couple of attachments to the mix and can foresee the need for a brush hog in the future. Also with moving recently my dealer/maintenance shop has gone from being literally 5 minutes down the road to a 45 minutes trip. As well I now have two properties to maintain instead one.

The point is that I need to upgrade trailers. Ideally, I'm looking for a 77" wide by 14' or 16' dovetail with dual 5k axels and brakes all around. Nice perks would be LED lights, and round or square top rails. Currently I'm hauling with a 4x2 4.7L '06 Jeep Commander which gives new about 6,500 max tow capacity.

/ Tractor rig length? #2  
Does anyone have a measurement on how long a bx2360 with FEL and brush hog happens to be?

A little background - I am one of those folks that bought a BX with just a mmm. At the time I was using a 77"x10' P&T trailer with a two foot dovetail. For that particular setup the trailer was quite adequate in terms size/weight and was small enough that I could use it easily for hauling yard debris.

However, I have since added a FEL and a couple of attachments to the mix and can foresee the need for a brush hog in the future. Also with moving recently my dealer/maintenance shop has gone from being literally 5 minutes down the road to a 45 minutes trip. As well I now have two properties to maintain instead one.

The point is that I need to upgrade trailers. Ideally, I'm looking for a 77" wide by 14' or 16' dovetail with dual 5k axels and brakes all around. Nice perks would be LED lights, and round or square top rails. Currently I'm hauling with a 4x2 4.7L '06 Jeep Commander which gives new about 6,500 max tow capacity.

I'd be looking at a trailer no less than 16' long. I had an 18' and if I recall, I used up a good portion of that for a similar set up.

IMG_20130830_131158_133.jpg

/ Tractor rig length?
Thanks for the quick response! In many ways I wish I didn't have to upgrades trailer sizes... The 10 footer is a really nice size for landscape and general hauling and I wish I didn't have to trade it. As well, my Christmas present to myself this year was going to be a nice, scoped Air Arms rifle but that's not going to happen with a new trailer and safety kinda trumps recreational plinking.

/ Tractor rig length?
Another thought had come to mind as a medium term solution. I could always keep the 10' dovetail trailer and swap the 3k axle for a 5k axle with brakes and save up for the big trailer down the road and in the intervening period hire the work at the other property done as needed.

/ Tractor rig length? #5  
I have a BX2660 (roughly same size as BX23) and with FEL and a PTO woodchipper it filled my 14 ft landscape trailer leaving me maybe 18 inches to spare, ...........a brush cutter will stick out much further and so mine does not fit on my trailer, A 16 foot at minimum would be required and even then you would be putting bucket with bucket facing as "down and inside " as possible.

/ Tractor rig length? #6  
Dealing only with the length equation, if transport was a relatively rare occurance, could you use the tractor to load the rotary cutter in the nose of the trailer, then drive the tractor in and rest the bucket on top of the rotary cutter somehow (without damage)?

It's probably not a good suggestion, but it came to mind.

/ Tractor rig length? #7  
Just to add to what you're already hearing: BX24 with FEL and 42" Rankin bush hog. With the loader flat at the front of the 16' trailer (not overhanging) the bush hog wheel hangs just behind the back of the trailer. Not enough to require a flag.

(it just fits)

Z.

/ Tractor rig length?
Thanks for all the help so far guys! Your input and experience is really helping. Well, the idea of swapping for a heavier duty axle on the current trailer ain't going to work. Talked to my trailer supplier and at the cost of a heavier axle, new springs, larger tires and rim I might as well start looking at trading for a new trailer.....:confused2: And if I'm gonna do that I might as well not compromise and get something that my tractor won't outgrow.

Zoltanthegypsy, thanks for the telling me about your setup. How does your trailer handle loaded? I think I might actually be okay with 16'. I don't currently have a brush hog, but anticipate getting one to mow my MIL's property 45' minutes away. It's an old homestead that's only occupied once or twice a year for holidays, so I really can't imagine loading up everything more than twice a year. I can deal with a little overhang a couple of times a year if the handling is manageable.

Madmax12, I like your suggestion, assuming I can convince the family accountant, otherwise known as SWMBO, about a new trailer I will likely try your idea with other implements, or a brush hog once get one.

I'm really fighting the idea of getting an 18' trailer. Maybe it's a mental block, I used 18 footers when I worked as a biologist and never had a problem. Our house has plenty of open space for using a large trailer for landscaping. I dunno it's just feels like 10' is too small, 16' is doable, and 18' is too large/commercial.

Anyways I think I can get 16-18' for P&J for about 1700.00, hopefully with dovetail and slide in ramps.

/ Tractor rig length? #9  
Zoltanthegypsy, thanks for the telling me about your setup. How does your trailer handle loaded? I think I might actually be okay with 16'. I don't currently have a brush hog, but anticipate getting one to mow my MIL's property 45' minutes away. It's an old homestead that's only occupied once or twice a year for holidays, so I really can't imagine loading up everything more than twice a year. I can deal with a little overhang a couple of times a year if the handling is manageable.

It handles just fine behind my half ton Silverado. The BX isn't really all that heavy and the trailer is rated for 7000#.

I had it build with dual axles and both-axle disk surge brakes. Works very well for the BX or anything else I care to trailer.

I also tow a 7500# boat on a trailer (with a different tow rig) that's closer to 30' long so the 16-footer doesn't seem big at all.

Z.

/ Tractor rig length? #10  
If it matters I have an L3940 with a skid steer quick connect loader, a grapple, box blade and 6 foot rhino shredder that I tow all over with a 16 foot Maxey dump trailer gooseneck with two #7,500 axles with dual electric brakes and a 2008 GMC 2500HD long bed crew cab Duramax

I load the loader bucket and box blade in the front of the trailer first the drive on with the shredder and grapple attached. By setting the grapple on the top hat portion of the gooseneck the shredder still sticks out the back several feet but it tows just great and better yet it stops good too.

The Duramax helps to maintain 70mph on most any normal hills... Water temp being the limiting factor.